    I need to buy a new mainboard for a P4 3.0Ghz Prescott CPU. Does anyone
    know, for sure, which Intel chipset is 'free' of the USB latch-up problem?

    Or have I misunderstood the whole thing?

    PL, Oct 4, 2005

  2. PL

    Paul Guest

    The Gigabyte warning, said ICH4 and ICH5. Only ICH5 postings have
    appeared in this newsgroup, to the best of my knowledge. That
    leaves ICH6 and ICH7 in the OK group. The boards you'd want to
    avoid, are the P4Pxxx, P4Cxxx, and the P5P800 (as it is also an
    865PE/ICH5 board). Generally, they are S478 boards, if you need
    guidance via the socket type. P5P800 is LGA775, and is one exception.
    There may be others, but as the motherboards offered, differ from Asus
    web sites, I'm not going to try to look them all up. If you select
    an LGA775 motherboard, and then check the Southbridge type before
    buying, that would be a reasonably efficient search strategy.

    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/FAQ/FAQ_456.htm

    As for fixing it, if it was a chipset problem, Intel would likely
    not spend good money on a fix. Especially if the fix required
    a process change for the way that the silicon is fabricated.
    The more recent the chipset, the more economic incentive to fix
    it.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 4, 2005

  3. PL