    Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor... and if it is
    will the stock cooler be adequate? I read a few reviews on newegg
    that mentioned the cooler questionably. Thanks.

    soinie, Dec 8, 2007

  2. soinie

    Bill Jemison Guest

    I've read a number of reviews and posts recommending other than factory
    coolers.

    However, I just bought the most recent version of "Upgrading and
    Repairing PCs". The author made an interesting point about fans included
    in RETAIL cpu boxes.

    He said the retail CPUs typically have a 3 year warranty and he thought
    manufacturers generally provided fans capable of ensuring adequate
    cooling in support of the warranty. Granted, it might be noisy or have
    other faults, but from a performance/engineering perspective, the fan
    would adequately cool the CPU.

    Good luck,

    Bill

    Bill Jemison, Dec 8, 2007

  3. soinie

    Paul Guest

    But to counterbalance that theory, remember that the invention of the
    "throttling" feature, ensure that the no warranty busting condition will
    arise anyway. The processor takes tiny naps, when it gets
    too hot. Once it gets to around 80C or so, that is when throttling
    can occur. When throttling occurs, there is no damage to the processor,
    but the end user is no longer getting the full value of the product.

    The proper procedure would be to:

    1) Install stock cooler (on the assumption that no overclocking will be
    done).
    2) Run a load program. Try Prime95, say no to the "request to join".
    Then select and run the "Torture Test" option. Four worker threads will run.

    http://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v255a.zip

    3) Then, watch the operating temperature. If the temperature rises
    to about 80C (or whatever the throttle point is for a Q6600), it
    should not get hotter than that. Now you're losing some performance.
    4) If the temp stays below that temperature, then nothing further needs to
    be done. If, say, the temp reads 55C while Prime95 runs four worker
    threads, then the retail cooler is proving it is good enough.

    If you cannot find a decent temperature measuring program, the "throttling"
    function can also be monitored by means of a register on the processor.
    The "RMClock" program is supposed to display a graphical trace, that
    indicates whether throttling is present or not.

    http://cpu.rightmark.org/download.shtml
    http://cpu.rightmark.org/download/rmclock_230_bin_upd1.exe (download)

    There is a detailed HOWTO, on detecting throttling here. They even
    stop the fan, to push the throttling feature to the wall.

    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/cpu/intel-thermal-features-core2.html

    If the thermal performance of the retail cooler does not meet your
    approval, and you've carefully checked the push-pins, then search
    for another cooler.

    If you are new to LGA775 and the retail cooler, there is a movie here.

    http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/24/12/241209_241209.wmv

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 8, 2007