Intel dual-core/single-core motherboard compatibility ?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by John Lewis, Apr 25, 2005.

  1. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    In order to run the Intel dual-core processors, a motherboard design
    compatible with these processors is required. The present generation
    of 775-pin single core motherboard will not work.

    However, it is not clear to me from anything that I have read which,
    if any of this new generation of dual-core Intel motherboard will be
    backward compatible with any current single-core/HT 775-pin processor.
    This may be important for those building a new system who want to
    future-proof for dual-core at the same time as upgrading to PCie/SLI
    etc, etc but do not want the current speed/power/cost/
    unknown-application-bug penalties of having to initially use a
    dual-core processor.

    Also, for the hobbyist system builder it would be very nice to be able
    to check out the complete functionality (other than dual-core) of a
    new dual core/PCIe, etc -system with a single-core processor borrowed
    from a previous build.

    So, what is the detailed scoop with regard to the dual/single-core
    backward compatibility of the various Intel-compatible dual-core
    chipsets (Intel, nF4, Via etc) and motherboards ? Richard, Tom,
    others ? Or point me to an authorative document on the subject.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Apr 25, 2005

  2. It seem motherboard base on NVIDIA nForce4 and Intel 955X chipset will be
    compatible.

    Somes motherboard are already on store, or will be soon.

    Gilles Vollant, Apr 25, 2005

  3. John Lewis

    TomG Guest

    I know nothing! (said with my best Shultz accent from Hogan's Heroes)

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Apr 26, 2005
  4. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    Compatible with Pentium D/Pentium Extreme dual-core, if
    course..........

    But also ("backward") PLUG-COMPATIBLE with the current
    Prescott single-core ( +HT) 775-pin Pentium 4 (Series 5xx) ??
    ( A la the latest generation of AMD 939-pin motherboards....with
    appropriate BIOS updates ) That is my $64 question. Please
    point me to the relevant documentation.

    For example, from some information that I read on the MSI Intel
    nForce4 motherboard, it seems compatible only with "05A, 05B"
    processors, which I believe are only the dual-core Pentium D,
    and Pentium (Dual-core+HT) Extreme.

    Richard, etc.... please help sort out the truth from the chaff....

    Life in 939-pin single/dual-core AMD-land seems so simple
    compared to this ball of twine Intel has thrown at us.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Apr 26, 2005
  5. John Lewis

    0_Qed Guest

    Oh come now <snicker> ...

    How else can Moore's law continue to remain valid ???

    Quad core due out in `06.

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Apr 26, 2005
  6. The dual capable boards and chipsets will, according to my current info, be
    fully backwards compatible with the existing and forthcoming single-core
    LGA775 product range. Intel have certainly designed this into the 945 and
    955 chipsets, and it's logical to assume that the other manufacturers will
    too.

    Don't forget that the arrival of the dual core products doesn't herald the
    death of the single core part, far from it. Indeed, Intel's forthcoming 65nm
    Prescott die-shrink (Cedar Mill) looks like the design Prescott needed to be
    (and should have been).
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Apr 26, 2005
  7. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    Thanks, Richard.

    Can you please clarify ( or point to the relevant Intel document) the
    meaning of "05A", "05B", "04A", "04B" etc with regard to the Intel
    processors ?

    Regards,

    John L.

    John Lewis, Apr 26, 2005
  8. "John Lewis" ...
    No worries.
    Yeah, this number is the PCG (Platform Compatibility Guide). It's supposed
    to be a rough indication of the CPU's thermal design power and heat
    dissipation level, with the idea being that motherboard PWM sections and
    heatsinks are also eventually supposed to be rated with these guidelines in
    mind.

    IIRC the 04A equates to a maximum TDP of 84W, 04B 85-115W, 05A 116-130W, and
    05B 131-145W. Don't quote me on the latter two though.

    Richard Hopkins, Apr 26, 2005
  9. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    Thanks again.

    Can I then assume that these PCG symbols have no further functional
    implication in terms of the MB design, CPU pin-out etc other than
    power and thermal ?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Apr 27, 2005
  10. Correct, at least in the way they're currently implementing it. It's an
    extension of their old "FMB" nomenclature, which merely specified the
    electrical performance of the motherboard's CPU power supply section.

    I guess that in the long term the idea is that if you buy an 05A rated CPU,
    you pick up a motherboard and cooler also rated 05A and higher, and you know
    everything's going to be dandy. Sounds fine in principle, but something
    tells me it's going to be largely irrelevant in practice.

    Richard Hopkins, Apr 27, 2005