Intel i7 3930K - question about clocking

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Netman, Sep 9, 2011.

  1. Netman

    Netman Guest

    Hello!

    I am interested in overclocking future Intel i7 3930K
    processor which will be realeased Nov 15th 2011.

    On the following page:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2011

    I have read that this processor has "limited unlock".

    I don`t know if we have to say about it regarding
    to games or overclocking.

    Can you tell me how many Ghz can be overclocked
    in this processor using middle cost cooler or high cost
    coolers? I`m not interested on cooling using nitrogen.

    I know that this processor haven`t been realesed yet
    but people that overclocked processors can say
    approximately how many more Ghz can be achieved.

    Thank you in advance
    Netm.

    Netman, Sep 9, 2011

  2. Netman

    Jim Guest

    Jim, Sep 12, 2011

  3. Netman

    Jim Guest

    Oops read that wrong limited overclock is going be probably the max turbo
    multi (39?) plus whatever BCLK increase the platform allows.

    Jim, Sep 12, 2011
  4. Netman

    Netman Guest

    Uzytkownik "Jim" <> napisal w wiadomosci
    > Oops read that wrong limited overclock is going be probably the max turbo
    > multi (39?) plus whatever BCLK increase the platform allows.

    Is it true that the processor overclocking is
    not good for liveness of the processor?
    Is it true that such overclocked processor
    uses up quciker? I mean physics look of
    such overclocking. Higher temperature
    is not a good thing for such processor,
    isn`t it?

    Thank you for help
    Netm

    Netman, Sep 13, 2011
  5. Netman

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Netman wrote:
    > Uzytkownik "Jim" <> napisal w wiadomosci
    >> Oops read that wrong limited overclock is going be probably the max turbo
    >> multi (39?) plus whatever BCLK increase the platform allows.

    > Is it true that the processor overclocking is
    > not good for liveness of the processor?
    > Is it true that such overclocked processor
    > uses up quciker? I mean physics look of
    > such overclocking. Higher temperature
    > is not a good thing for such processor,
    > isn`t it?
    >
    > Thank you for help
    > Netm

    Every 6 degrees Celcius raise, halves the life of a silicon device.
    So, yes overclocking is a bad idea, unless you have an oversupply
    of money.

    Sjouke Burry, Sep 13, 2011
  6. Netman

    Tony Marsili Guest

    On Sep 13, 5:18 pm, Sjouke Burry <>
    wrote:
    > Netman wrote:
    > > Uzytkownik "Jim" <> napisal w wiadomosci
    > >> Oops read that wrong limited overclock is going be probably the max turbo
    > >> multi (39?) plus whatever BCLK increase the platform allows.

    > > Is it true that the processor overclocking is
    > > not good for liveness of the processor?
    > > Is it true that such overclocked processor
    > > uses up quciker? I mean physics look of
    > > such overclocking. Higher temperature
    > > is not a good thing for such processor,
    > > isn`t it?

    > > Thank you for help
    > > Netm

    > Every 6 degrees Celcius raise, halves the life of a silicon device.
    > So, yes overclocking is a bad idea, unless you have an oversupply
    > of money.

    Where do you come up with such an arbitrary number? I can do it too.
    So every 6 degrees raise I half the life of silicon device? The
    normal life of a silicon device is what, 800 million years (see that's
    my arbitrary number there).

    The facts are that I've had my overclocked p4 system running for
    almost every day 24 hours a day for 12 years. The pace of technology
    far overreaches the slight hit on processor life with overclocking.

    Tony Marsili, Sep 17, 2011
  7. Netman

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Tony Marsili wrote:
    > On Sep 13, 5:18 pm, Sjouke Burry <>
    > wrote:
    >> Netman wrote:
    >>> Uzytkownik "Jim" <> napisal w wiadomosci
    >>> Is it true that the processor overclocking is
    >>> not good for liveness of the processor?
    >>> Is it true that such overclocked processor
    >>> uses up quciker? I mean physics look of
    >>> such overclocking. Higher temperature
    >>> is not a good thing for such processor,
    >>> isn`t it?
    >>> Thank you for help
    >>> Netm

    >> Every 6 degrees Celcius raise, halves the life of a silicon device.
    >> So, yes overclocking is a bad idea, unless you have an oversupply
    >> of money.

    > Where do you come up with such an arbitrary number? I can do it too.
    > So every 6 degrees raise I half the life of silicon device? The
    > normal life of a silicon device is what, 800 million years (see that's
    > my arbitrary number there).
    >
    > The facts are that I've had my overclocked p4 system running for
    > almost every day 24 hours a day for 12 years. The pace of technology
    > far overreaches the slight hit on processor life with overclocking.

    The 6 degrees double the leakage current and cause inrceased diffusion
    of n/p layers, Enough diffusion kills a n/p diode.
    The diffusion depends exponentially on temperature.
    At say 25 percent of max power, a semiconductor can survive thousands
    of years, at full power a transistor has a live of 4 years.
    But if you dont care/believe, just go ahead and kill your stuff.

    Sjouke Burry, Sep 18, 2011