    check the benchmarks.
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=1
    for all you intel lovers check out that link. puts intel to shame

    matthew utt, Dec 21, 2003

  2. matthew utt

    Ben Pope Guest

    Horses for courses, Athlon XP is better than "equivelent" P4 in many tests,
    but the P4 will beat it in others. You cannot advocate one over the other
    without taking into account the intended use.

    Unless you factor in price. :p

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 21, 2003

  3. matthew utt

    stacey Guest

    Even then the use can outweigh the price difference. I always consider the
    intended use and pick the platform that will perform the best for the money
    they want to spend. If it's an AMD (which it is much of the time) that's
    what they get. If it's an INTEL, that's what they get.

    stacey, Dec 22, 2003
  4. matthew utt

    Helen Guest

    My understanding is that AMD is the cheaper (in price and quality) chip
    while Intel is pricier in price and Maybe quality.
    The 'may be' part of Intel is that they are the largest company and thus
    they may make some defective products in their
    mass production lines. However, having said all that, I've had
    experience with both and will have to say that I've had
    more problems with AMD than Intel (Celron) and straight Intel. So, make
    your choice and hope for the best, as for
    me and my experience, I have to stay with Intel.

    Helen

    Helen, Jan 11, 2004
  5. matthew utt

    rstlne Guest

    I think that IBM might come close to beating out Intel's fab productions
    these days. Keep in mind that many of the other larger names went to IBM
    when they decided that IBM would do it cheaper. I dont see how you can say
    that one has better "Quality" unless you go by the quality of the boxes,
    fans, stickers, leaflets.

    I cant say that I have ever had any processor go faulty on me, by any mfgr..
    If you had more problems wiht AMD chips being bad then I would put that down
    to user error as I wouldnt expect EITHER chip to have problems.

    rstlne, Jan 11, 2004
  6. matthew utt

    J. Clarke Guest

    That has not been my experience. Both have made some bad designs,
    currently both are pretty decent. I haven't noticed my AMD boxen
    crashing with any greater regularity than my Intel boxen--if either of
    them crashes for any reason other than a driver problem it indicates
    that something is broken or improperly configured. As long as the
    _other_ components are of good quality, the power is adequate, and
    there's halfway reasonable cooling AMDs don't cause any more problems
    than Intels.

    J. Clarke, Jan 11, 2004
  7. matthew utt

    stacey Guest

    Me either. Now I've had problems with chipsets and chipset drivers being
    flakey but the processors from either camp have always been fine. Well the
    AMD K6 wasn't that great.... :)

    stacey, Jan 11, 2004