    Somes website prublished review of Intel Dual core Pentium, wth an Intel
    motherboard.

    It seem NVidia will also made chipset copatible with dual core pentium...

    Gilles Vollant, Apr 9, 2005

  2. Gilles Vollant

    Rob Stow Guest

    Socket 939 and 940 motherboards are supposed to be dual-core
    compatible with nothing more than a BIOS upgrade. However, AMD
    has apparently upped the TDP from 95W to 110W, so I would worry
    about some older motherboards not being able to deliver enough
    juice to the faster dual-core CPUs.

    In the meantime, HP has demoed a pair of 2.x GHz dual-core
    Opterons in an xw9300 workstation, which uses the Tyan S2895
    motherboard.

    I would expect Asus and Tyan and other motherboard manufacturers
    to keep their CPU/motherboard compatibility lists reasonably
    up-to-date. They might not have updated info for something like
    Intel's recent paper release of dual-core Pentiums, but they
    should by the time the actual releases of Intel or AMD dual-core
    chips happens.

    Rob Stow, Apr 9, 2005

  3. are Asus A8V and A8N serie compatible with 110W ?

    Gilles Vollant, Apr 9, 2005
  4. Gilles Vollant

    the_grouch Guest

    Not to be too negative, BUT

    When these dual core processors FINALLY come out (I'm sure current
    socket 939 fans can relate to that) what do you think they'll cost ?
    As much as Opterons ? As much as FX chips ? How long before they're
    available in quantity and under $300 ? $400 ?

    I suggest that by the time they're really available to the masses,
    you'll be into DDR2 memory motherboards and will require a different
    socket than the 939 (extra control lines for DDR2 rumor has it).

    Anyone figure out what size the heatsink is going to have to be on one
    of these things ?

    the_grouch, Apr 9, 2005
  5. Gilles Vollant

    Ben Pope Guest

    FX chips will still be the fastest chips... so they will be the most
    expensive. Dual Cores should be less than FX, then.

    Current AMD Roadmaps Dual Cores at 2H05, thats socket 939 (Toledo) and
    socket 940 (Egypt, Italy, Denmark).

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_608,00.html
    "Leaked" Roadmaps put DDR2 cores on socket M2 (Windsor, Orleans) at 1H06.

    So Dual Core chips should be available ~6 months prior to the new DDR2
    socket.
    Design figures are at <110W, IIRC. Thats on a par with a P4, so not
    impossible... there's loads of people cooling that much power today.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Apr 9, 2005