Intel Pentium M Processor 730 (1.6Ghz) versus Intel Mobile Pentium 4 Processor 538 (3.2Ghz)??

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by T. T., Mar 9, 2006.

  1. T. T.

    T. T. Guest

    Hi all:

    I was in the market for a new notebook PC and I was in local CompUSA
    the other day. I found that these two models has very similar price:

    Toshiba Satellite M45-S265 Notebook
    * 15.4 in 1280 x 800 Screen
    * Intel Pentium M Processor 730 1.6Ghz
    * 512MB DDR-SDRAM RAM
    * 100GB Hard Drive
    * 6.0 lbs
    * Priced at $949.98

    Toshiba Satellite A75-S1253 Notebook
    * 15.4 in 1280 x 800 Screen
    * Intel Mobile Pentium 4 Processor 538 3.2Ghz
    * 256MB DDR-SDRAM RAM
    * 60GB Hard Drive
    * 8.0 lbs
    * Priced at $999.98

    My question is, how would the two CPU's performance compare to each
    other, could we just trust the Ghz for the speed?? I don't mind the
    extra two pounds of weight of A75, but I want to make sure that the A75
    would truly outperform M45 in terms of speed and graphics... Any review
    or benchmark for these two CPUs?? How would they compare to each
    other??

    I'm looking for a laptop maybe more for a "desktop replacement" that
    still have enough juice to drive some of the DirectX 9.0 3D Games,
    might want to use it as a PVR (like Tivo), a little bit video editing
    and buring to DVD, browse the Web, word processing and PowerPoint
    presentation, and PHP+MySQL programming, with reasonable price
    (hopefully under $1500)... which laptop (including the above two but
    NOT limited to) would you recommend for this kind of purpose??

    Thanks!

    T. T., Mar 9, 2006

  2. T. T.

    Quaoar Guest

    The Pentium M rated speed in Ghz x 2 is somewhat the same performance as
    a Pentium 4 running at its Ghz. The Pentium M is overall a far better
    choice since it is more efficient (battery life is far superior), runs
    cooler (P4 fan is *always on*), and has directionally the same
    performance as a P4 as indicated above. Go with the Pentium M and don't
    look back.

    Quaoar, Mar 9, 2006

  3. T. T.

    Woody Guest

    You are expecting too much out of a laptop. With all the desires you listed
    build a desktop with massive hard drive and memory and use the laptop as a
    slave....

    Woody, Mar 9, 2006
  4. T. T.

    J. Clarke Guest

    No. Pentium M has about the same performance for _most_, not _all_ tasks as
    a much faster P4. For general use the extra 256 MB of RAM in the Pentium M
    machine you list is likely to make more difference than the clock speed.
    You don't say what video chip is in either of those--it looks like the
    M45-S265 has Intel integrated graphics and the A75-S1253 had integrated
    Radeon 9000, both of which are bottom of the line, if you want graphics
    performance neither of these is a good choice.
    Go by Best Buy and look at the AMD64 Gateways (you won't find them on the
    Gateway site for some reason--they're sold by the part of Gateway that used
    to be eMachines and the marketing seems to be handled separately). I have
    one bought over a year ago that does all that you ask. The equivalent
    model right now is 800 bucks or for 1300 you can get one with faster video,
    a bigger disk, and a gig of RAM. Friend of mine has been carrying the same
    model back and forth to college and around campus and whatnot since fall of
    2004 and it hasn't given her any trouble. Support other than warranty
    repairs (which neither of us has ever needed) is virtually nonexistent but
    it's made from fairly standard bits so drivers can be had easily.

    Also the Gateways are now coming with MCE 2K5, so all you need to add to get
    your PVR functionality is a tuner--the Hauppauge PVR-USB2 MCE works fine
    with it and has an MCE compatible remote--note that both Toshibas come with
    XP Home so with them you'd also need additional software for the PVR
    function if you want it to be really satisfactory.

    J. Clarke, Mar 10, 2006
  5. T. T.

    Dan Guest

    doesn't the A75 have an integrated video card?

    Dan, Mar 10, 2006
  6. T. T.

    Mikey Guest

    - For all that you wrote you'll need Toshiba Qosmio (If you want
    Toshiba)
    Do you want only Toshiba? Check on internet for other products and
    compare prices!

    - For video editing you need to have at least 1 GB of RAM for new video
    editing programs.
    Yes, you can edit movies with 512 MB but the process is slow.

    - For DirectX 9.0 games you need laptop with price more than 1500 $

    - For Office (word and powerpoint) you can use any computer, even PII
    and PIII

    - For all that you wrote youll need 1GB of RAM, 80 GB HDD, DVD burner
    Dual Layer, ATI 9700 or PCI Express ATI,

    My advice to you is the same as the one above. Buy Desktop and use
    Laptop as a second computer!
    For a price of laptop with high-end components you can buy both: good
    deskotp and nice laptop!

    Mikey, Mar 10, 2006
  7. T. T.

    Xanatos Guest

    Simply the Pentium M is a better processor, Some1 already said thats
    cooler and uses less battery power! what else could you want from
    something sitting on your lap? Another thing is the M is a newer chip
    so you would be purchasing older technology with the 4. Also the M has
    something like MULTISTEPPING or close to that, it down clocks the cpu
    if your surfing the internet or listing to music if you demand more
    from the machine it will clock it self back up for you! THIS SAVES
    BATTERY also is ALOT COOLER! I have owned both and love my M :)
    Good Luck

    Xanatos, Mar 11, 2006
  8. T. T.

    J. Clarke Guest

    Well, sort of. The Pentium M is basically a die shrink on the Pentium III,
    not a completely new design.

    J. Clarke, Mar 11, 2006
  9. T. T.

    T. T. Guest

    Thanks all, that was great advice! I'm going to get a good desktop plus
    a cheap sub $600 laptop.. :)

    T. T., Mar 21, 2006