Intel Sandy Bridge E Core i7 3960X vs 3930K - questions

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Netman, Aug 21, 2011.

  1. Netman

    Netman Guest

    Hello!

    I have read specification about two Intel Sandy Bridge E Core i7 processors:

    a) 3960X (L3 15 MB cache, 3,3 Ghz, 3,9 Ghz in Turbo Boost) - 900 $
    and
    b) 3930K (L3 12 MB cache, 3,2 Ghz, 3,8 Ghz in Turbo Boost) - 500 $

    Two differences between these two processors are:
    - 0,1 Ghz difference
    - 3 MB L3 cache difference

    I heard unofficial prices of these two processors and the difference is
    nearly half.

    Questions to you:
    1) Why will a) processor be so expensive?
    2) Is 0,1 Ghz and 3 MB cache better worth price?
    3) Will video rendering in Sony Vegas Pro be extremely better in the
    comparision
    to b) processor?
    4) So, will a) processor be worth buying? Will it be better to save nearly
    400 $
    and have only little worse processor b)?
    5) Maybe there is some invisible parameter which makes the a) processor so
    extreme
    as it used to be call, and maybe it is so extreme if we look at working
    efficiency?

    Thank you in advnace
    Netm.

    Netman, Aug 21, 2011

  2. Netman

    Jim Guest

    The invisible parameter is binning. The higher quality CPUs are turned into
    extreme editions so overclockers with bottomless pockets will buy them.

    Jim, Aug 21, 2011

  3. Netman

    Netman Guest

    Uzytkownik "Jim" <> napisal w wiadomosci
    > The invisible parameter is binning. The higher quality CPUs are turned
    > into extreme editions so overclockers with bottomless pockets will buy
    > them.

    OK. I hope I know what you mean.
    1) Do you mean cooling by liquid nitrogen?
    2) If i am not a overclocker, is it good idea to buy it?

    I heard that these two processors will be cooled only by liquid
    substance. I don`t know which one but it does.

    Do you have the same infromation?

    Thank you in advance for help
    Netm.

    Netman, Aug 22, 2011