Intel SE440BX-3 mobo -- Max amps from CPU fan header?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by RIVERST0NE, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. RIVERST0NE

    RIVERST0NE Guest

    Please, can someone confidently tell me, what is the highest amount of
    Amps that can be safely supplied by the CPU fan header on my
    motherboard model?

    (BTW, I already tried contacting the motherboard manufacturer, but they
    no longer provide support for my motherboard model.)

    Also, exactly what parts could the high current damage and how could
    one tell the damage is being done (ex. PC would just completely shut
    down one day)?

    The reason I ask is because I need to know if my motherboard can safely
    power the new high current CPU fan I purchased.

    Here are my specs:
    old '99 Dell Dimension XPS T500
    Intel Pentium III 500Mhz
    Motherboard Model: SE440BX-3
    Motherboard Version: AA722396-108
    BIOS: 4S4EB2X0.10A.0017.P05 04/22/1999
    Online mobo manual:
    ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/oem/72698401.pdf

    Alternatives...
    -- I looked into plugging the fan into the power supply instead of the
    motherboard, but one tech whom has had experience working on my type of
    motherboard found that it would *not* be possible to do.
    -- Getting another fan with less amps to lower the current may be
    possible, but it will be quite a hassle (for me). I can't buy another
    proprietary fan from Dell since the only replacement available from
    them is this high current fan. So I would be left having to buy a
    non-Dell fan and *rewire* it to the Dell proprietary connector.

    I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of rewiring if my
    motherboard will be fine with this high current fan. Please help.

    Thank you... :)

    RIVERST0NE, Jan 9, 2006

  2. RIVERST0NE

    peterfelgate Guest

    Firstly, although similar, the Dell is not a standard Intel board so
    any information you find out about the Intel variant MAY not be
    applicable anyway! I think you'd be best off using a suitable adaptor
    to power the fan from a spare PSU connector, despite what you've been
    told - I believe the T series doesn't have the special fan detection
    circuit on the motherboard as other Dells have which cause problems
    with doing this....

    peterfelgate, Jan 9, 2006