  1. jacko

    jacko Guest

    Hi, I can't get an SL7X5 to POST on my ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe. I have n
    problem with an SL726. I have since sent the SL7X5 back to the selle
    and he says it works fine in his Dell laptop. I'm wondering if I nee
    a BIOS update for the SL7X5

    Thanks in advance for any info!

    Here are the specs on both of these processors

    |SL7X5.....|3.33 GHz.....| 533 MHz.....|90 nm | E0 | 1 MB |478 pi
    PPGA

    |SL726.... |3.06 GHz .....|533 MHz ..|0.13 mi |D1 |512 KB |478 pi
    PPG

    jacko, Mar 16, 2006

  2. jacko

    NBK Guest

    Hi

    Which BIOS are you running? I had to update my BIOS when i upgraded my
    3.06GHz to a 3.4GHz Prescott processor .

    deXTer

    NBK, Mar 16, 2006

  3. jacko

    jacko Guest

    deXTer

    Thanks for the quick reply!

    I have the latest BIOS version 1023. And I believe the SL7X5 in
    Northwood. Plus I am also using a 3.2 Prescott (SL7E5) as I write.

    What's frustrating is I can't find any info on using this CPU in
    desktop. There's plenty on using the SL726. I'm wondering if mayb
    it's such a bastard that AMI didn't take it (and possibly the SL7DU
    into account when updating their BIOS

    I'd really like to get this one up and running but don't think it wil
    happen. I'm still leaning toward a bad CPU even though the selle
    claims it's good.

    Thanks for your input

    jacko, Mar 16, 2006
  4. jacko

    Paul Guest

    It is a different beast than an SL726. The SL726 is 0.13u
    and the SL7X5 is 90nm (Prescott family). It even has the
    same family code as a Prescott. EIST doesn't use
    GHI# on this processor (which is not necessarily a killer
    issue). The pinout on SL7X5 seems to be the same as
    a standard S478 Prescott, but with software support for
    multiplier changing via EIST.

    http://download.intel.com/design/mobile/datashts/30242403.pdf

    This thread shows that there are people trying to get this working.
    A different motherboard may help. If you have a PCI POST
    card, it would be interesting to see if any codes are written
    to the display, other than the 0x00 or 0xFF put on the
    display when the POST card is reset. If a code is written, then
    that is a good sign, and means your problems are purely BIOS
    ones. Downgrading the BIOS, to an earlier Prescott compatible
    version (maybe before the CT-479 was supported), would be
    another experiment I might try. Strange that a P4C800 would
    work and not a P4C800-E. I think a few BIOS experiments are
    in order. Have fun :)

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52168

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 17, 2006