Intel SpeedStep Technology and IBM ThinkPad 600X

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by thinkpaddude, Apr 16, 2004.

  1. thinkpaddude

    thinkpaddude Guest

    hi there,

    i was wondering if anyone has a solution to the problem:

    in my 2645-5FU is a 650MHz mobile pentium III with speedstep enabled,
    and in battery optimized mode it goes down to 500MHz. so far so good.

    when i boot with ac-adapter and _no_ battery inside it always runs at 500MHz,
    when it's supposed to run at 650MHz full speed, impossible to change in
    windows (w2k), the maximum performance mode is greyed out.

    only with battery inside it is possible to change between the battery
    optimized mode (500 MHz) and maximum performance mode (650 MHz), no
    matter if ac-adapter is connected or not - always.

    so, wtf is it not running 650 MHz without battery when it has all the
    current in the world from the ac-adapter to do so.

    is the bios buggy?
    is it a feature?

    (using intel speedstep utility 1.10 from ibm website)

    thanks

    tpd.

    thinkpaddude, Apr 16, 2004

  2. thinkpaddude

    M Greene Guest

    Found this along time ago on the IBM site:

    Symptom
    ThinkPad A2x, T2x, 600X with Intel Speed Step microprocessor will slow
    down to Battery Optimized speed when the battery is removed from the
    machine.

    Affected configurations
    ThinkPad A20, A21, A22, T20, T21, T22, and 600X models with Intel
    Speed Step microprocessor.

    Solution
    This is working as designed. Please have the battery inserted to run
    the CPU at full speed.

    Additional information
    When operating at highest CPU speed and with high current usage
    peripherals attached (CardBus cards, USB devices, etc.), the required
    operating current may momentarily exceed the capability of the AC
    Adapter. When the battery is installed, the battery can supplement the
    power during the momentary peaks.

    When the battery is removed from the ThinkPad computer, it switches to
    "Battery Optimized" speed (lower speed) to reduce peak power demands
    and to prevent the possibility of input voltage dropping too low,
    causing the ThinkPad computer to power off.

    M Greene, Apr 17, 2004

  3. thinkpaddude

    lars Guest

    I see this thing about needing to have have the battery in the
    machine always for the speedstep feature. But I have never seen
    any mention on what kind of condition the battery needs to be
    in.

    As we all know the batteries for the 600's are mostly dead.
    Doesn´t that make any difference?

    Lars, Stockholm

    lars, Apr 18, 2004
  4. thinkpaddude

    M Greene Guest

    I think as long as the the battery has a little life it would be ok.
    I general I would bet that it only checks if a battery is present
    during boot and not the charge level.

    Mike

    M Greene, Apr 18, 2004
  5. thinkpaddude

    lars Guest

    Of the five batteries I have four as dead as a Dodo. They won´t
    stir any more than a fossile.
    If they could boost any CPU into new dimensions it would have
    to be an act of faith alone.

    Unfortunately I don´t have the right board, or CPU, to test.

    Lars, Stockholm

    lars, Apr 18, 2004
  6. thinkpaddude

    M Greene Guest

    I have a good battery in the 600X and usually run it with AC. My
    wife has a 600E and is always running it on the battery - I give her
    hell, just got the battery new for $60-70US.

    Mike

    M Greene, Apr 21, 2004