Intel Unveils Supercomputing Multicore Processor called KnightsCorner

Discussion in 'ATI' started by parallax-scroll, Jun 2, 2010.

  1. Intel Unveils Supercomputing Multicore Processor

    The new Knight's Corner processor is based on Intel's many-core
    architecture and draws on the Larrabee advanced graphics chip the
    company placed on hold last year.

    By Antone Gonsalves
    InformationWeek
    June 2, 2010 07:00 AM

    Intel has unveiled a multicore supercomputing processor based in part
    on technology from Larrabee, the codename for an advanced graphics
    chip that was placed on hold late last year.

    The new product, codenamed Knights Corner, is based on Intel's Many
    Integrated Core architecture. The processor will scale to more than 50
    processing cores and will be built on Intel's 22-nanometer
    manufacturing process.

    Intel is targeting Knights Corner at high-performance computing
    applications found in oil and gas exploration, scientific research and
    financial or climate simulation. The company introduced the new
    product Monday at the International Supercomputing Conference in
    Hamburg, Germany.
    Intel also announced design and development kits for building
    applications for the new product. Codenamed Knights Ferry, the tools,
    which have been shipping to select developers, will be generally
    available in the second half of 2010.

    Despite perceptions, the performance penalty of virtualization is
    marginal in many cases.

    Intel said the MIC architecture is derived from several Intel
    projects, including Larrabee and such Intel Labs research projects as
    the single-chip cloud computer. The MIC architecture is separate from
    Intel's Xeon chips used in mainstream business computing. The former
    architecture is designed for highly parallel applications used in
    supercomputing.

    Without providing any details, Intel said in December 2009 that it
    would not launch Larrabee as planned. In development for several
    years, the chip was billed as a "many-core x86 architecture for visual
    computing."

    Before the suspension, Intel had demonstrated a working prototype at
    the Intel Developer Forum three months earlier. Larrabee would have
    competed against discrete graphics products from Nvidia and Advanced
    Micro Devices' ATI division.

    Nvidia and AMD offer modified versions of the multicore architecture
    used in their graphics chips for high-performance computing.

    http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/processors/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=225300059

    parallax-scroll, Jun 2, 2010

  2. parallax-scroll

    Robert Myers Guest

    This is not good news for the kind of supercomputing I understand, which
    is already bandwidth-bound. I've talked about this problem at length in
    another forum, and there is little point in my going on about it here.
    You can put more transistors on a chip from now until doomsday, but,
    unless you can keep them fed, there is no point.

    The cheapness of flops compared to bandwidth has already skewed
    computational physics, and the appearance of chips like Knights Corner
    will only make it worse. My prediction: more pretty plots and more Top
    500 hype than ever. Less and less good computational physics.

    Embarrassingly parallel applications will benefit, as always. There may
    be applications in biology that I don't understand.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Jun 19, 2010