Intel Z77 chipset and ECC memory support question

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Win7, Apr 24, 2012.

  1. Win7

    Win7 Guest

    Win7, Apr 24, 2012

  2. Win7

    Paul Guest

    The memory interface is on the CPU. (See Z77 block diagram.)

    http://ark.intel.com/products/chipsets/64022

    CPU ------ addr Channel0
    ------ data+ecc
    ------ control

    ------ addr Channel1
    ------ data+ecc
    ------ control

    For ECC to work, you need:

    1) Lane wiring, from CPU ECC pins, to DIMM slot ECC pins
    2) Memory DIMMs with x72 width, and an SPD EEPROM containing ECC info
    3) BIOS capable of turning on ECC features.
    Note: On some BIOS, this feature is not present in the manual
    pages, and doesn't actually appear in the BIOS screen, until
    an ECC DIMM is installed. This is one of the single hardest
    things to confirm. If no other "enthusiasts" have stuffed an ECC
    DIMM in it, nobody may know it is supported. This was even a problem
    with X38 and X48 chipsets, in their day. It just wasn't documented.
    4) OS capable of reading some kind of BIOS table, knowing there is
    ECC, ECC events could be raised, scrubbing could be running, and so on.

    My motherboard is supposed to have ECC, but there is no sign of it
    in the BIOS (as I don't currently have ECC DIMMS installed). I'll find out,
    the day I waste the money on a set of ECC DIMMs.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 24, 2012