Intellistation M-Pro Dual Xeons 2.8 Ghz - Hot and Loud

Discussion in 'IBM' started by david, Feb 28, 2005.

  1. david

    david Guest

    I have an Intellistation M-Pro upgraded to 2.8 Ghz Dual Xeons running
    Windows XP Pro. 1.5 GB Memory, 15K rpm Raid striping and 10K rpm raid
    mirroring.

    Hyperthreading is enabled, the rear fan kicks in so often and runs so
    loud its a major distraction. Its hard to talk over it and its also
    hard to hear on the telephone when its on. The problem is the same with
    the side panel removed. The fan noise is not the noise a fan make when
    failing, its just spinning so fast its loud. BTW the fan is BIG. It
    must be 5 inches across. When Hyperthreading is disabled, the noise
    level and the frequency of the rear fan is fine.

    Any Suggestions on how to reduce Noise of the rear fan fan when
    Hyperthreading is enabled?

    I have checked to make sure the CPU fans are running. However on this
    Intellistation the fans are not on top of the heat sinks, they are
    several inches to the right of the processors blowing horazontal across
    the heat sinks.

    When using Sandra the Temperature of CPU 1 is 77 C and CPU 2 is 41 C. I
    think that Sandra may be wrong but I don't know for sure. We have
    another Intellistation M-Pro Dual Xeon's 2.2 Ghx where Sandra is
    reporting 72C for both processors. The fan noise is the fine on it with
    Hyperthreading enabled or disabled.

    Thanks in advance

    david, Feb 28, 2005