Intel's 65nm Cedar Mill processor to have 65W thermal envelope

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Judd, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. Judd

    Judd Guest

  2. Judd

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    So Cedar Mill is the codename for the Prescott at 65nm? They said that
    the power consumption of the dual-core Presler, which I assume is a
    dual-core Cedar Mill will be 130W. That works out perfectly because that
    would mean two cores are exactly twice the power of one core (65W x 2 =
    130W). So they probably won't be trying to run the dual-cores slower
    than the single-cores.

    It seems as if they still haven't got a real dual-core yet, it's just
    two processors in one package.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Judd

    Judd Guest

    Yeah, no doubt they worked very hard on getting the core temp down just for
    that purpose.
    Exactly and they don't look to change that for a while... maybe not until
    multicore (4-8) and it's probably an entirely different architecture.

    Judd, Mar 15, 2005
  4. Judd

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    You'd have thought that since they're going to a new miniaturization
    node that it would've been an ideal time to design in some internal
    links between a couple of adjacent processors on a wafer.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Judd

    Judd Guest

    Don't think so, not while dual core is still the buzzword. They can get
    away with this (cheaply and efficiently) until a completely new architecture
    that is designed for multicore comes forward (probably 2007). It's a low
    cost interim solution.

    Judd, Mar 16, 2005