Intel's high-end 'Larrabee' on Par With GeForce GTX 285

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by parallax-scroll, Jun 9, 2009.

  1. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-larrabee-nvidia-geforce,7944.html

    quote:

    "According to one close Intel partner that wished not to be named,
    this isn't the case. We were told that Larrabee is currently only
    capable of performance levels similar to Nvidia's GeForce GTX 285.
    While this isn't a bad thing in by any measure, it doesn't quite line
    up with a lot of the heat that we've been told.

    The partner said that with current Larrabee silicon, things may change
    down the line, but it did not expect Intel's graphics solution to take
    the high-end of the market. At the time of Larrabee's release, both
    AMD/ATI and Nvidia will introduce newer and faster versions of its
    GPUs."

    If true, that's not too bad. GTX 285 level performance is a decent
    starting point.
    Future Larrabee with more cores (48, 64) will be coming, and later
    there will be no doubt be a next-gen Larrabee2 architecture which
    improves on the shortcomings of original Larrabee architecture which
    was locked down in 2007 or 2008.

    parallax-scroll, Jun 9, 2009

  2. parallax-scroll

    deimos Guest

    More bullshit.

    Intel's goal is not a GPU or anything of the such, but to make entry
    level systems dependent on a strong CPU in order to increase demand and
    cost for such processors and eliminate the OEM and value level system
    requirement for an accelerator. The exact same crap they pulled with
    their GMA shit.

    They wish to instill in the minds of idiot newbies and future system
    owners the idea that only a CPU can "upgrade their graphics" and somehow
    obsolete hardware API's (DX, OpenGL) via direct programming and their
    own proprietary API.

    deimos, Jun 9, 2009

  3. parallax-scroll

    John Lewis Guest

    And of course, Intel's Larrabee graphics driver software will exceed
    nV and ATI's capabilities in terms of efficiency, speed and
    compatibility with both current and legacy games......

    From the company that can't even write drivers for their IGPs that can
    run WoW without artifacts and crashes. And as for Dx10 compatibility
    of Intel drivers.. forget it.

    mmmm, wonder where Intel is recruiting its Larrabee driver team. Can't
    see any top nV or ATi personnel jumping into the Intel bureaucratic
    and top-heavy-management engineering morass.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jun 10, 2009