Intel's Hyperthreading

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Paul, Nov 2, 2003.

  1. Paul

    jlsue Guest

    There is no one-size-fits-all solution to this question. It would be
    interesting to know how you determined that the bottleneck is disk access.
    Many factors affect what solution would actually help your environment,
    including knowing what the read:write ratio is for this disk access. Also,
    what OS are you running?

    There's a real mix of applications running here - similar to what we see in
    multi-user, multi-application server environments. Of course, the Windows
    default has been to isolate these all onto separate servers - but coming
    from a background long before Windows, I find that a waste of resources.

    It's not clear that CPU isn't (going to be) an issue here either, since
    "zip" and burning a DVD can be CPU intensive. There's also a potential for
    memory constraints - which may actually show as disk access, assuming this
    is a real "virtual memory" os that you're using.

    The AMD vs Intel 64-bit thing is really not a knowable quantity with the
    amount of information available at this time. Heck, not knowing the
    applications you're running, 64-bit CPUs may not even be that great of an
    investment anyway. My guess is that all your apps are really 32-bit
    applications right now, so you might be better off spending your investment
    dollars on 32-bit multi-processor systems - these will probably give you
    more bang-for-the-buck today.

    On the other hand, if this is a business and you're trying to manage
    investment dollars today against future upgrade investment needs to
    maximize profit, then going 64-bit might make sense.

    Sorry, my crystal ball is cloudy today.... all these unknowns only makes
    things less clear.

    jlsue, Nov 7, 2003