Intel's Larrabee Shaping Up For Next-Gen Xbox, PS4 Consoles ?

Discussion in 'Intel' started by NV55, Aug 13, 2008.

  1. NV55

    NV55 Guest

    13/08/2008
    Chris Leyton
    Could Intel's GPGPU be appearing in the Xbox 720 or PlayStation 4...

    Larrabee, Intel's foray into the world of discrete graphics
    processors, could be shaping future next-gen consoles, according to
    comments from the chip manufacturer in an interview with Develop.

    Offering developers a fully programmable pipeline and based around the
    popular x86 instruction set, the Larrabee specifications are
    considered to be closer to that of a multi-core CPU than traditional
    GPU technology. Such a design allows the technology to fluidly handle
    tasks not typically assigned to the GPU, helping out the CPU as and
    when needed, and unlocking the true potential of parallel computing
    offered by multi-core architecture.

    Intel's Aaron Coday revealed, "It's definitely something we would want
    to discuss with the console vendors, and hope that the architecture
    that we're providing is something that is very compelling for them and
    be interesting."

    A paper released at SIGGRAPH 2008 indicated that 25 Larrabee cores
    running at 1GHz could potentially run Gears of War at 60fps at a
    resolution of 1600x1200 - this is believed to be a conservative
    estimation as the cores are widely expected to run faster than 1GHz.

    http://www.totalvideogames.com/news...ing_Up_For_Next-Gen_Consoles_13643_6321_0.htm

    NV55, Aug 13, 2008

  2. NV55

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    That's only useful in an environment which is already entrenched with an
    x86 software background, such as PCs. It's not the case in consoles, and
    if anything, the entrenched software background is for IBM's PowerPC
    instruction set.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Aug 15, 2008