Interesting AX4SPE-N RAM discovery

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by The Devil, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. The Devil

    The Devil Guest

    Here's my original RAM bank setup on my AX4SPE-N board:

    Bank 1

    Slot 1 = colored blue <------ 512 stick
    Slot 2 = colored purple <------512 stick

    Bank 2

    Slot 3 = colored blue <------(empty)
    Slot 4 = colored purple <------(empty)

    I have two sticks of Crucial CL=3 DDR400 512MB on my mobo, 1024MB
    total. I placed both of them in Bank 1, in Slot 1 and Slot 2. Did
    the SiSoft Sandra Memory Bandwidth Benchmark and noted the results.

    Then I took the second stick, previously occupying Slot 2, and placed
    it in Bank 2, Slot 3. Did the same Sandra test and my Benchmark
    numbers jumped SIGNIFICANTLY, nearly double!

    Here's the second, much better performing setup:

    Bank 1

    Slot 1 = blue <------512 stick
    Slot 2 = purple <------(empty)

    Bank 2

    Slot 3 = blue <------512 stick
    Slot 4 = purple <------(empty)

    See the attached image files. The first one shows the layout & colors
    of the banks. The second image shows the results after making the
    switch and compares it with the previous results.

    Some of you gurus out there probably knew to do this, but this being
    my first time using 128-bit DDR Dual Channel.

    I got the idea to try this when I was cruising the AOpen web site and
    saw, in a picture in one of their performance trials, one stick in
    each bank, not two sticks in one bank.

    TD

    Basic system information: P4 2.4c, hardware RAID 1 array, Win2kPro.

    I'm everywhere you want to be.

    The Devil, Jul 31, 2003

  2. The Devil

    The Devil Guest

    DUH, forgot to attach the images. Here they are.

    TD
    I'm everywhere you want to be.

    The Devil, Jul 31, 2003

  3. The Devil

    The Devil Guest

    Oh well, trying again to post the images. :^(

    Should be ram.gif.

    TD

    I'm everywhere you want to be.

    The Devil, Aug 1, 2003
  4. I got the idea to try this when I was cruising the AOpen web
    site and
    Yes, dual channel DDR works much better when you actually use
    it. :)

    Michael J. Apollyon, Aug 1, 2003