    An ethernet cable connects my modem to my analog telephone adaptor.
    From there, an ethernet cable goes to my computer.

    Before I had an ATA, I could bring up a modem interface by typing its IP
    into a browser. Now I can't do it unless I connect the modem directly
    to the computer.

    If I can talk to remote IPs with the ATA in the line, why can't I talk
    to my modem? Is there a way to make it possible?

    J Burns, Jan 4, 2014

  2. Because your ATA and modem are also routers. For some reason the ATA
    no longer routes packets out to the modem.

    Most likely case is that they overlap IP address ranges, i.e.
    the modem uses 192.168.1.xxx as it's LAN side IP range, and
    the ATA also uses it.

    The best way to fix it IMHO is to plug both the ATA and your computer into
    separate ethernet ports on the modem. If it only has one port, you MAY
    be able to add a small hub to provide extra ports, but first make sure
    the modem will support multiple clients.

    The second best way would be to move the ATA's LAN side IP address to
    another network. This would also require changing the DHCP server's address
    in the ATA to match.

    The ATA has QOS routing in it to make sure your internet usage does not
    affect phone calls. If you are a heavy phone user, it is worth having.

    A friend of mine found that going through his ATA cut his download
    speed to half of what it was without it. He only used his phone for
    faxes and a few calls a month, so he got rid of it and put in a landline.

    YMMV.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jan 4, 2014

  3. J Burns

    J Burns Guest

    Wow! Thanks for explaining.

    J Burns, Jan 4, 2014
  4. You're welcome.

    I was think of this after I wrote it, and another option may be to
    replace your ATA with a SIP phone. There are many different ones in
    all sorts of price ranges, from a cheap base phone with an ethernet
    connection, to WiFi phones, to a DECT cordless phone system.

    Depending upon whom your VoIP provider is, you can often have multiple
    incomming "channels", make outgoing calls while receiving one, and a DECT
    system would give you that capability.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jan 5, 2014
  5. J Burns

    J Burns Guest

    My VOIP provider gives me two lines although I don't need them.

    The manual for my ATA doesn't seem to say what protocol it uses. Maybe
    the protocol depends on the firmware.

    I see SIP came from the IP community, and most other VOIP protocols came
    from the telecommunications community.

    I see a SIP phone is connected between the router and the computer, like
    my ATA. Why would it, but not my ATA, let me pull up my modem with Safari?

    J Burns, Jan 5, 2014

  6. There is a 99% chance it is SIP. That's the standard used in VoIP.

    Asterisk systems can use a protocol called IAX between them, but it's
    not something you see in an ATA very often.
    To use a SIP phone, you would get a small hub and "split" the ethernet
    connection.

    Some SIP phones have built in hubs, so that when you added your phone, you
    did not have to run a second ethernet cable. For example, I have several
    2000 vintage Cisco "IP phones" that have it. I don't use them (the internal
    hub).

    If you did use the internal hub, the SIP phone would use 1 IP address and
    pass data through it to your computer. It would NOT intercept it like the ATA.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jan 5, 2014
  7. J Burns

    J Burns Guest

    I went to VOIPO's site. Under "Advanced Features," it says every
    account has a SIP address by default, and every outgoing call can be
    routed by a SIP address.
    I don't often want to check my modem with Safari. I guess I'll just
    bypass the ATA on those occasions.

    J Burns, Jan 5, 2014