Intermittent boot problem with Toshiba Portege 3500

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Matthew S, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. Matthew S

    Matthew S Guest

    Hi,

    I have a problem with my Portege 3500. Occasionally when I try to
    start it up, it gets to the "in touch with tomorrow" screen, but no
    further. This is exactly the behaviour you would get if you took the
    HDD out completely. Powering it off and on again just leaves it in the
    same state. If I wait until the Intel boot loader error message comes
    up (indicating that the disk cannot be found), I can press F1 to get
    into the BIOS - this reflects the fact that the HDD has not been
    detected.

    However (and fortunately) if left off for 24 hours, it miraculously
    recovers and boots up with no problems.

    This problem only occurs very infrequently (perhaps once a month), and
    typically after a session of pretty heavy use. Perhaps it is due to
    overheating - however, the problem tends to manifest itself when
    trying to power on the following day (after everything has cooled back
    down).

    So, my questions are:
    * any idea what is going on here? What can be getting reset after 24
    hours (if I try before this, I just get the ITWT screen, and have to
    wait ANOTHER 24 hours)
    * is there any way I can get it to boot up without waiting 24 hours
    (have tried holding the power button down for 5-10 secs to force a
    reboot, but this doesn't help)?
    * once I do get in, will flashing the BIOS help, or is it more likely
    to be a HDD problem (I've heard that there were problems with joint
    solders?)

    Any help would be appreciated - it's driving me mad!

    Thanks,
    Matthew

    Matthew S, Apr 9, 2004