    for @90 seconds.

    BTW, the system is running XPPro, Bios A10 and 1gb RAM.

    Any help with this is appreciated.

    Patrick J. Chicas, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Hope this is not a silly question, but what Power Supplies did you buy??

    Although the Inspiron is based on the earlier Inspiron 8000 & 8100, the
    8200 has a higher rated Power Supply. The Power Supply is a 90W device
    (giving out 20V @ 4.51A), whereas the earlier device was a 75W (or
    possibly only 70W, I cannot recall) device.

    Visually it is almost impossible to tell the 2 Power Supplies apart
    except for one distinguising feature:-
    On the 90W device the "nose" of the plug (that physically plugs into the
    8200) is grey (with the body being black), whereas the earlier device
    had a totally black plug.

    HTH

    Regards,
    John

    John J. Burness, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Patrick J. Chicas

    BD Guest

    This was my guess also. If you have the low power "brick" it's possibly
    shutting down from overheating. Is there an imbedded thermal cutout in these
    bricks?
    BD

    BD, Oct 21, 2003

  4. I don't know, but almost certainly there is!!

    Can't recall where I saw it, but I seem to remember that these low Power
    bricks _may_ hold up the supply for a period & then give up - precisely
    the problem that Patrick is having!!

    HTH

    Regards,
    John

    John J. Burness, Oct 21, 2003

  5. Just to add a bit of info on the 2 types of Power Brick:-

    To look at they are TOTALLY identical (other than the "nose" of the plug)!!

    The model No for the 90W Brick is PA-1900-05D & also indicates that it
    is part of the "PA-9 Family". There does not appear to be an independant
    part No.

    The model No for the 70W Brick is AA20031 & also indicates that it is
    part of the "PA-6 Family". It also has a Part No. of P/N 9364U.

    HTH

    Regards,
    John

    John J. Burness, Oct 21, 2003
  6. Patrick J. Chicas

    WSZsr Guest

    and where did you purchase the docking stations and power supplies?

    WSZsr, Oct 22, 2003
  7. After reading the thread -- the power of the power supply sounds very plausible as the
    chance of two supplies having the same problem is very low.

    I'd like to also add that you should have politely asked to speak with a supervisor and ask
    for someone you can understand. I have had to do this once and I did receive support from a
    another verbally understandable technician.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Oct 22, 2003
  8. Patrick J. Chicas

    Tom Scales Guest

    The 8200 requires more power than earlier models. Check the output of the
    two power supplies (it will be printed on the bottom) and compare to the
    power supply that came with the laptop. I'd bet they are lower and
    inadequate.

    What happens when you connect the power supply that came with the laptop to
    the docking station?

    If it is a model with an internal power supply, and it might be, where did
    you get the docking station? If it is from Dell, then return them, as they
    are not working. If not, then return them to the place of purchase.

    I suspect they are for an earlier model Inspiron. The 8200 caused a lot of
    problems, as the power requirements are higher than earlier models.

    Tom
    P.S. If you didn't buy them from Dell, you should be pleased they are even
    helping you. They are, of course, under no obligation to do so.

    Tom Scales, Oct 22, 2003
  9. Patrick J. Chicas

    Turner Guest

    Here we go again. Tom on the Dell Bandwagon

    Turner, Oct 22, 2003
  10. Thanks all,

    I have the 90watt power supplies. Gray DC tips and all. The system
    really freaked today hard. It took over 30 minutes to close apps to
    releave resources in an effort to save a single file that I needed to
    save. This state started just after one of the power failures. I had
    to finally, cold start the machine by removing the battery. Since
    then, both power supplies are working fine. This is very odd.

    Patrick J. Chicas, Oct 22, 2003
  11. Patrick J. Chicas

    Tom Scales Guest

    What the hell did I supposedly do wrong. I gave him good answers.

    Did you?

    Tom Scales, Oct 23, 2003
  12. The answers were good, but he seemed to be saying that he got them from
    Dell when he wrote that he would not make another Dell purchase again since
    he couldn't get them to provide support. You and another person made
    comments that he shouldn't be upset if Dell didn't support them if he didn't
    buy them from Dell.

    First, as I understand it, Dell warranties are transferable and second,
    Dell should help someone with this sort of question. He was simply trying to
    find out what was wrong. If he didn't actually pruchase them from Dell, as
    was implied in his post, Dell should at least be able to tell him what the
    problem is. That's simply good customer service, something that is lacking
    these days.

    These comments are tempered by gazing in irritation at the bezel marked
    DUMMY that doesn't fit my I8200 on the replacement DVD/CD-RW drive that
    still exhibits the same problem as the original, a problem documented by
    other Dell users but that Dell claims doesn't exist. And, oh yeah, they
    can't provide a bezel for the replacement drive that matches the computer.
    Silly for me to expect good cosmetics on a $1,800 product, but what the hey.
    They can't fix the problem with the DVD/CD-RW drives not recognizing disks
    until you open and close them several times, so what are cosmetics.

    The bottomline here is that Dell service has slipped very badly and they
    are going to lose the loyalty of some of their customers. Whether or not
    that matters remains to be seen.

    Grumpily,

    Thomas M. Goethe, Oct 23, 2003
  13. Patrick J. Chicas

    Tom Scales Guest

    Thomas,

    I didn't infer that his dissatisfaction with the Dell product implied that
    he had bought them from Dell. In fact, so far, the original poster has not
    replied to that effect and carefully ignored the question in his reply.

    Personally, I believe they may be the WRONG docking station, in which case,
    even if the warranty is transferrable, Dell does not have any responsbility.

    I do get tired of people bashing Dell for areas in which they are not
    responsible. The most humorous are the "I bought a used Dell laptop from a
    'friend' for $8 and there is a hardware password and Dell won't help me.
    Dell Sucks".

    I would love to know where the docking stations were purchased.

    tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 23, 2003
  14. Tom,

    It is correct that the original poster did NOT specifically state that
    he bought anything directly from Dell, but NEITHER did he imply that he
    didn't!!!

    Whether you mean't it or not, you appear to have immediately jumped to
    the conclusion that he HADN'T bought them from Dell & even made the
    comment:- "you should be pleased they are even helping you"!

    In fact the point of his original post was two-fold:-
    1 A moan at the inability to understand an Indian Accent
    2 A request for advice

    Whether he had bought from Dell or not would not have affected these two
    points!!

    wrt the suggestion that they are the wrong Docking Station (which is a
    valid possibility, although I'm not certain how this affects the Power
    Supply), I would have assumed that his 40 minutes on the Phone would
    have established this!

    You have a reputation for defending Dell, REGARDLESS of the
    circumstances. I would totally accept that, most times, your defence is
    perfectly valid & your comments are of a "quality-nature".
    Unfortunately, you also tend to "jump-in-with-both-feet" & defend Dell
    when such a defence is:-
    inappropriate
    invalid
    incorrect
    etc.

    Under these later circumstances, I think it is a great shame that you
    "bury" your obvious talents under your "need" to "defend Dell regardless"!!

    Just my two-pence worth!!

    Regards,
    John

    John J. Burness, Oct 23, 2003
  15. Tom,

    Actually, in terms of Dell telling him if he has the right unit, I don't
    think it matters where he got them or helping him determine if the power
    supply is bad. Dell tech support of old could have handled that pretty
    easily.

    I absolutely agree that if he got them used from a third party, Dell
    does not have a responsibility to fix it if the warranty had not been
    properly transferred. And you are dead right that if the third party sold
    him the wrong unit, Dell has no liability for that. The thing is, though, he
    didn't seem able to reach anyone competent to say what was wrong. That
    seemed to be what ticked him off.

    Assuming he is using the words docking station when he means port
    replicator (the Inspirons won't go into the docking station used by the
    Latitudes unless they have been modified), I bet the problem is the power
    supply. Dell does still sell the old 70 watt power supply. When I bought a
    second one for my I8200, I had trouble making sure that I was getting the
    right one. The sales rep, who sounded Indian and far away, tried to send me
    the one for the I8000 series which was actually 70 watt one. Luckily, I knew
    about the issue (having two spare I8000 power supplies on my desk) and I
    pressured the rep into going further down the page and sending the right
    one.

    If it is the wrong replicator, then I doubt the computer would fit in
    well enough for him to ever see the charging light come on.

    And I agree that a lot of folks whine here about things they shouldn't,
    but it has gotten a lot harder to get good service from Dell. I was very
    impressed by how far Dell used to go to make sure I was happy. They fixed
    things on warranty that I felt I should have paid for and offered to. It's a
    shame to see such a decline. I actually LIKE being able to be loyal to a
    company.

    Thomas M. Goethe, Oct 23, 2003
  16. Tom,

    And I forgot to say that I really appreciate seeing your support posts
    here. You give very good advice. I am letting some of my own frustrations
    with what I see as a serious decline Dell service.

    Thomas M. Goethe, Oct 23, 2003
  17. Patrick J. Chicas

    jamie Guest

    As the problem follows the system, with 2 docks and 2 90W power adapters,
    you may have a bad battery or battery connector, but I suspect more likely
    a problem with the charging board on the motherboard.

    jamie, Oct 23, 2003
  18. Patrick J. Chicas

    Turner Guest

    Tom, close your eyes and concentrate and say ten times, "Dell is not great
    and is not perfect". You get the picture?

    Turner, Oct 23, 2003
  19. I think we have made our point, let's encourage Tom to keep helping as
    much as he does with our problems.

    Thomas M. Goethe, Oct 24, 2003
  20. Patrick J. Chicas

    Turner Guest

    I agree, but let's try and be objective and open minded as well.

    Turner, Oct 24, 2003