    tried both OpenGL and Software - brightness does NEVER change here).

    (Using Nvidia 44.03 reference drivers, but that shouldn't affect the
    internal brightness/gamma sliders in HL, it never did before anyway)

    Lars-Erik Østerud, Nov 11, 2004

  2. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Ben Cottrell Guest

    For me, the brightness/gamma settings never worked pre-steam either.. In
    fact, setting the gamma in any OpenGL game has never worked for me.

    Were you using D3D before you moved to Steam by any chance? (although,
    D3D mode is very poor, the brightness setting actually seems to work)

    Alternatively, could try adjusting monitor brightness.. or just turn
    off your lights and shut the curtains ;)

    Ben Cottrell, Nov 11, 2004

  3. Lars-Erik Østerud

    McGrandpa Guest

    Set the brightness up in the Nvidia control panel before launching the
    game. Yes, your desktop will be very bright. But the game will be
    better. :)
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Nov 12, 2004
  4. Ben Cottrell skrev:
    Nope alwyas OpenGL, but on Win98 I used some Asus drivers with
    separate gamma adjustment for OpenGL, but on WinXP there is a bug that
    prevents me from using them (then I'll loose the VSYNC lock instead)

    So I tried adjusting the gamma in the "config.cfg" file, in pre-steam
    HL you cuold set that as high as you wanted. But that didn't work now
    Monitor at max :-(

    Lars-Erik Østerud, Nov 12, 2004
  5. McGrandpa skrev:
    Grrr... Why can't Nvidia include separate OpenGL gamma (as Asus does
    in their tweaked drivers) as standard. Would prevent lots of extra
    work for lots of people (adjusting each time is annoying :)

    Lars-Erik Østerud, Nov 12, 2004
  6. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Strider Guest

    Lars-Erik Østerud proclaimed...
    You might want to try using a third party app like powerstrip.

    --
    AGHL Newsgroup and IRC FAQ: www.stri.tk

    "By the powers invested in my by news international I
    pronounce you GUILTY! - of paedophilia!"
    "Guilty?! but there was no trial!"
    "Under the basic principals of English law every man is
    innocent until speculated guilty!"

    Strider, Nov 12, 2004
  7. Strider skrev:
    Can that do it automaticly? Allready have a bunch of launcher apps,
    but none come close to the Asus tweaks where you can adjust and store
    the gamma settings and they will be automaticly applied when the game
    is started (when OpenGL is launched). D**n, it's annoying that Asus
    had to mess ut the VSYNC lock options in theit tweaked drivers :-/

    I'll try downloading Powerstrip just to see anyway.

    Lars-Erik Østerud, Nov 12, 2004
  8. Strider skrev:
    Look OK (just read the web-page), but has much more than I need, and
    it's expensive (for something that should be in the driver :)

    Do you know if there are cheaper or freeware programs that can monitor
    program launches and apply gamma settings at start other places?

    Lars-Erik Østerud, Nov 12, 2004
  9. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Strider Guest

    Lars-Erik Østerud proclaimed...
    No, the closest as I said was powerstrip. You can create a custom config
    so when you want to go play it will up the gamma and brightness to
    settings which you find most enjoyable.

    Strider, Nov 12, 2004
  10. Lars-Erik Østerud

    McGrandpa Guest

    did you try the Omega driver sets I mentioned? I believe they also
    allow you to create configs for specific apps within the driver.
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Nov 12, 2004
  11. Strider skrev:
    Worked great. But what I couldn't do was controlling the AA settings.
    You can force them on in PowerStrip, but not force them of (I normally
    use 2xS AA (middle setting) but for one games I'd like them off). The
    settings are not accurate enoght (only "Force" or "not force").

    The gamma part worked nicly. So I'll just test it for a while.

    Mabybe togheter with the newest Nvidia drivers (they have profiles for
    game setting - for everything except gamma/brightness that is :)))))

    PowerStrip has "force vsync" as well so I might use the Asus drivers
    too (as the only fault in them is that "vsync" is not enabled :)

    Lars-Erik Østerud, Nov 12, 2004
  12. McGrandpa skrev:
    Didn't find that in 44.03 version anyway.
    Does that include gamma settings as well?

    Lars-Erik Østerud, Nov 12, 2004
  13. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Strider Guest

    Lars-Erik Østerud proclaimed...
    Windows and the game application itself should override those settings.

    Strider, Nov 12, 2004
  14. Lars-Erik Østerud

    McGrandpa Guest

    Actually I thought all the more recent ones do. Not having problems
    with the 61.77 Nvidia set right now tho. Other than HL game gamma not
    working in the game, have to set it via the desktop.
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Nov 12, 2004
  15. Strider skrev:
    Found another problem, after installing PowerStrip, the refresh rate
    settings fixed with RefreshForce doesn't work anymore (I can set all
    refresh rates there, but they donæt work - get the standard 60hz).

    Can override with PowerStrip but didn't need that before. And if I
    override there I get the same effect as if I override in the Nvidia
    drivers (switches to 60 first, then to 85, making my CRT click as
    crazy :)

    Lars-Erik Østerud, Nov 12, 2004
  16. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Strider Guest

    Lars-Erik Østerud proclaimed...
    First and foremost, are you setting the refresh rates, AA, vertical sync
    in the windows settings. I'm not 100% certain but if you set those it
    should override any other setting.

    Don't set the refresh rate to high, if you change to a higher resolution
    the monitor simply wont accept it and may default back to the factory
    setting.

    Strider, Nov 13, 2004
  17. Nerdillius Maximus, Nov 16, 2004