Internal USB3 Card reader : what connection?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by adriano, Apr 14, 2014.

  1. adriano

    adriano Guest

    Hello , I hope someone answer me .
    I have a PC with the Sabertooth X58 . Currently I have a USB2 card
    reader (bay) connected to the internal port USB2 beige color. I attach
    the photo with the USB2 port where I plugged the card reader present :
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/236960998/asus sabertooth x58.jpg
    I would like to replace this USB2 card reader with a USB3 card reader
    but I'm no expert I do not know where I have to connect the cable of
    the card reader on the Sabertooth x58 . Maybe do I not have the option
    of installing this new USB3 card reader? Is it better to leave
    everything as it is ?

    This is what is written in the mauale Sabertooth x58 reported at the
    gates :
    " Rounding the first corner of the ASUS Sabertooth X58 we run into
    three USB2 headers Followed by a black and a white firewire header
    serial port connector . The Intel ICH10R chipset ASUS is kept cool by
    the " Ultimate COOL ! Thermal solution. The "Ultimate COOL ! thermal
    solution Consists of Ceram ! Which X is an innovative ceramic coating
    That Effectively conducts heat away from the system. In fact , all of
    the heat sinks on the ASUS Sabertooth X58 take advantage of the
    ceramic coating. "

    adriano, Apr 14, 2014

  2. adriano

    Paul Guest

    If your motherboard had internal USB3, it would be a 19 pin connector
    (a 2x10 connector with one pin missing as a keying mechanism).

    The Sabertooth X58 has two USB3 ports on the back of the computer.
    The "blue" color of the connector, tells you it is USB3. That's
    a standard color for USB3. That is all the USB3 provided. They
    didn't include a second chip, just to drive an internal 19 pin
    connector.

    You can buy a complete kit, including a PCI Express card, to do it.
    Notice that the PCI Express card, has a 19 pin connector (black in
    color), And a shielded cable runs from there, to a tray in the front
    of the computer.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815256002

    http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=328&area=en

    *******

    Now, this solution is "ugly". It uses an external cable. You
    run the external cable from the back connector of the computer,
    back inside the computer case, through a faceplate hole on the
    back of the computer.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145088

    That device is a one port to four port hub (active repeater).

    External USB3 ------- cable ------- back of tray -------- Four
    (active -------- Ports
    repeater -------- on the
    chip) -------- Front

    The integrated circuit on the hub circuit board,
    functions as an active repeater. And allows a slightly
    longer cable to be used on the front of the computer.

    *******

    So those are examples of two solutions for you. The first one
    is a neater solution, but it will use one of your PCI Express
    slots. And you've probably filled all the slots already.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 14, 2014

  3. adriano

    adriano Guest

    Now, this solution is "ugly". It uses an external cable. You
    If I had to choose this solution, from 1 USB3 to 4 USB2, could the
    transfer rate speed decrease a little bit?
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

    adriano, Apr 14, 2014
  4. adriano

    adriano Guest

    But if I have to be sincere, I don't need other USB3 ports, only I
    need an USB3 card reader bay. I ned more transfer rate speed from SD
    card to PC. If I had to replace the old USB2 card reader with a new
    USB3 card reader, I don't know where I have to plug it on Sabertooth
    x58.
    I hope you understand my bad english.

    adriano, Apr 14, 2014
  5. adriano

    Paul Guest

    For this project, you start with an article on SD cards (or whatever).

    You cannot go faster than the media itself.

    Your media choice must do two things. Match the capability of the
    camera, and match the capability of the card reader.

    For example, my camera will only go at 10MB/sec with the SD.
    Only a certain kind of SD works. The fastest kind of SD does
    not work.

    Start with an article like this.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_digital

    These are just a few examples.

    SDHC 2 GB to 32 GB, 10MB/sec
    25MB/sec (Version 2)

    SDXC: >32 GB to 2 TB, UHS-I 50MB/sec
    some 32 GB available UHS-II 312MB/sec

    So when you search for a card reader, it has to match
    some of those names. A USB3 card reader would be
    of no practical use to you, unless it supports UHS.

    In this example, the fastest thing they've got, is
    "SDHC/SDXC UHS-I U3" at 90MB/sec read and 80MB/sec write.

    http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/Card_Comparison_Chart_EN.pdf

    And this is the tiny SD card reader, which would plug into the
    back of your computer. You load the SD into the reader, then
    plug the reader into your USB3. Always make sure, when buying
    USB3 devices, that they have a metal barrel on the connector.
    That ensures better insertion capability - I have a plastic USB3
    item and the barrel part of the connector does not seat properly.

    http://www.kingston.com/us/support/technical/products?model=fcr-mlg3

    The highest transfer rate reported in a review here, is 40MB/sec.
    There are not sufficient customer reviews, to determine whether
    it demonstrates faster transfer with UHS-I.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721088

    The last time I went shopping, there was no UHS-II at the store,
    so I assume the bulk of premium media will be UHS-I.

    I would say, if you spend the $15 on the FCR-MLG3 or something
    similar, you could see your transfer go from 30MB/sec to 40MB/sec.
    I don't want you to get too excited. A similar thing happened to
    me with an expensive USB3 Flash key. It promised "screaming speed",
    and worked about as well as a wet fire cracker. It was as slow
    in practical usage, as all of my old USB keys. So when you see
    "USB3" in the name, it does *NOT* guarantee faster speed. It may
    go faster, but most of the time, it doesn't go faster. You must
    be a very lucky person, to buy two items, combine them and
    get exceptional performance.

    The reviews on this one, Kingston FCR-HS3, report 60-70MB/sec
    on read. And that's with UHS-I. Maybe that's with UHS-1 with
    the 208MHz clock and 104MB/sec theoretical max transfer rate.
    Some people report quite awful write speed, which is what
    I would have expected. The high speed media can be asymmetric
    in practical usage, with reads being better than writes.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K1045403

    In the case of that product, people report the cable that comes
    with the reader is not good. And the unit works better if you
    purchase a quality USB3 cable for it separately. The reader
    in that case costs $25 and is quite cheap. It will sit outside
    your computer.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 14, 2014
  6. adriano

    Paul Guest

    The bandwidth is shared by the four ports.

    If you use just one port on the front, it should run at
    a good speed.

    I don't have any benchmark information to offer for USB3 hubs.
    Can they do 336MB/sec ? It takes very specific testing, to test
    for such a thing. Most home users do not own the gear to do
    such a test (average SSD adapters for USB3 run 200MB/sec). Perhaps
    the ports will do 200MB/sec, but I would want proof of that
    before making a promise such is possible.

    The port will do more than 30MB/sec. But I don't know how much more.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 14, 2014
  7. adriano

    adriano Guest

    Hello, you are giving me precious news. I thank you a LOT.
    I'd like to ask you some questions please:

    1) I'm buying Sony AX100 handycam recording 4k. Now I have to buy some
    SD for my handycam. I'd like to buy Sandisk (they seem good) but I see
    some different versions:

    http://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-SDSDXS...8&qid=1397485341&sr=1-9&keywords=SDXC+extreme

    http://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-Extrem...8&qid=1397485506&sr=1-1&keywords=SDXC+extreme
    http://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-Extrem...8&qid=1397485506&sr=1-1&keywords=SDXC+extreme
    I don't understand the difference between this blackSD and yallow SD.

    And this with UHS-I
    http://www.ebay.it/itm/SanDisk-64GB...ori_Cellulari_Memory_Card&hash=item4ad00da17a

    In your opinion what is the best SD for my Sony AX100 recording 4k?
    May be that SD with UHS-I is the best option for me?

    Which do you like more between
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721088
    and
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K1045403

    THANKS FOR YOUR AVAILABILITY.

    adriano, Apr 15, 2014
  8. adriano

    Paul Guest

    Like you, when I have to buy SD media, it is painful to be
    certain you are getting the right one. I don't know any more
    about this than you do.

    *******

    The Sandisk seem to have two kinds of UHS-I. The 45MB/sec
    and the 80MB/sec. Flash memory does not read and write at
    the same speed, and writing is usually more demanding. And,
    as the media gets older and has more errors, it slows
    down. This is why the specification says "Up to", because
    as the media becomes "worn", it works slower. I see this
    on my new 128GB USB flash device. Very slow writes.

    http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/sd/extreme-uhs-1-45mbs/

    Performance/speed: Up to 45MB/s read speed
    Up to 30MB/s write speed

    http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/sd/extremeplus/

    "Performance/speed: Up to 80MB/s read speed;
    up to 60MB/s write speed.

    The Sandisk advertising does not mention usage with 4K cameras.

    *******

    The Sony web page has some comments from reviewers.
    This is the problem listening to end users - here,
    a user is mixing up megabytes and megabits.

    http://store.sony.com/4k-camcorder-...RAX100/B/cat-27-catid-All-Advanced-Camcorders

    "DISAPPOINTED in XAVC-S Card Problems
    Date:March 26, 2014

    I like the way the camera feels in my hands, and most operations
    are fairly easy to change on the fly. But, Why Oh Why will an
    80 MBps EXTREME 1 Type 10 SanDisk 32 Gig Memory Card not work
    in XAVC mode??

    This is the fastest card I have right now.

    On Page 12 of the so-called manual it says you can do 4k at 60 MBps.
    I have reformatted the card in the camera and still no go.
    XAVC-S HD says it works at 50 MBps, but again, no go.

    Does the camera only like Sony Media??"

    OK, now already I am suspicious. Cameras are sometimes rated
    in mega*bits* per second, and that person is talking about
    mega*bytes* per second. So let's get the user manual first.

    Here is the user manual for the AX100 and CX900.

    http://download.sony-europe.com/pub/manuals/consumer/FDRAX100_CX900_HG_EN.pdf

    XAVC S 4K Recording pixels: 3,840 x 2,160 dots Bit-rate: 60 Mbps = 7.5MB/sec
    XAVC S HD Recording pixels: 1,920 x 1,080 dots Bit-rate: 50 Mbps
    AVCHD Recording pixels: 1,920 x 1,080 dots Bit-rate: Max. 28 Mbps

    When recording images in AVCHD format,
    use the card of Class 4 or faster.

    When recording images in XAVC S format,
    use an SDXC memory card of Class 10 or faster. <--- The Sandisk ones, both of them

    SD memory cards with a capacity up to 64 GB have
    been confirmed to operate properly with this product.

    Note that the 4K mode uses a fair bit of compression. There are
    four times as many bits, yet the recording only takes 20%
    more megabits per second.

    The top recording rate is 60 megabits/sec or 7.5 megabytes/sec.
    And that is met by a Class 10 card.

    In theory, the Sandisk SD cards should work (both types are Class 10).
    They exceed the 7.5MB/sec requirement OK.

    And like me, all you can do, is buy the media, insert it in the camera
    and test it. You will not know, until it is inserted, whether
    it is right or not. The Sandisk products both look like they should
    work, but it is up to the camera to "approve" of the media :)

    If your retailer will not accept returns of SD media, you could
    buy a small capacity SD first, and test it.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 15, 2014
  9. Therefore is not important to buy a UHS-I card?

    the.lovely.hombre, Apr 15, 2014
  10. adriano

    Andy Guest

    To answer your specific question, your motherboard does not have an
    internal USB3 connector, so there is no place on the motherboard to
    plug in an internal USB3 card reader.

    Andy, Apr 16, 2014