  1. Pam

    Pam Guest

    I have recently become the proud owner of the Motion M1300. My brother-in-law is tired of redoing my internet connection after I disconnect my tablet from the ethernet connection to use my tablet untethered. I have no immediate plans to use the 802.11g wireless connection at home, I only plan on using it when away from home. We have three computers networked, I can still see the network but when I try to connect to the internet it says it cannot find the server. What settings do we need to do to avoid losing the ethernet internet connection?

    Pam, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Pam

    Chris H. Guest

    Disable it, Pam, in Network Connections. You can also disable the Ethernet
    connection without harm, then enable it when you're in the wireless
    environment. Having two networking devices active will sometimes put them
    in a bridged mode, and that's not good. :cool:
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., Feb 10, 2004

  3. Pam

    Pam Guest

    My wireless is disabled, I have tried both enabling and disabling the 1394 (neither seems to have an impact) and my LAN is enabled. When I look at the LAN status it says I am connected at 100Mbps and that it has sent and received packets. It is not showing any bridged connections on the Tablet in Network Connections, when I look at my Desktop Network Connections I see a Bridge-MAC Bridge Miniport

    I'm not sure I know what I am supposed to disable and when I should disable then re-enable it. Should I disable the wireless before I connect to the ethernet. Do I then disable the ethernet before I connect to the wireless. I haven't as yet tried a wireless connection. My brother-in-law said he has had to renew my IP address to get the ethernet connection working again. I've read bits and pieces about static IP addresses, is that what I need for my ethernet connection

    Thanks for your help :
    Pa

    ----- Chris H. wrote: ----

    Disable it, Pam, in Network Connections. You can also disable the Etherne
    connection without harm, then enable it when you're in the wireles
    environment. Having two networking devices active will sometimes put the
    in a bridged mode, and that's not good. 8-
    --
    Chris H
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet P
    Tablet PC Universe - www.tabletpcuniverse.ne
    Tablet PC Chat - http://thetabletpc.net/support.ht
    Associate Exper
    Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzon

    Pam, Feb 10, 2004
  4. Pam

    Chris H. Guest

    On a Tablet PC, you just need to turn off the wireless before using the
    Ethernet NIC. The 1394 is a third networking device, and unless required to
    use it, just disable it in Device Manager.

    The reason you're not connecting anywhere, even though traffic is being
    seen, is you are bridged (Bridge-MAC Bridge Miniport). Simply right-click
    that device in Network Connections and select Disable. Restart the machine
    (although it may kick the network in automatically) and you should be good
    to go.

    When you go into a wireless environment, go into Network Connections,
    right-click the connection you've been using with the Ethernet NIC and
    select Disable. Then turn on your wireless with the button, and you'll be
    okay.

    Chris H., Feb 10, 2004
  5. Pam

    Pam Guest

    The only machine that shows a bridged connection is my Desktop PC, the Tablet PC does not show a bridged connection; if that means anything. I tried disabling the Bridge on my Desktop and shuting down both the Desktop and Tablet, restarting, but then I could not access the files on the network and then lost internet access for my Desktop. I was able to restore the internet access on my desktop by re-enabling the Bridge on the desktop and restarting. I'm puzzled...any other ideas

    Thanks

    Pa

    ----- Chris H. wrote: ----

    On a Tablet PC, you just need to turn off the wireless before using th
    Ethernet NIC. The 1394 is a third networking device, and unless required t
    use it, just disable it in Device Manager

    The reason you're not connecting anywhere, even though traffic is bein
    seen, is you are bridged (Bridge-MAC Bridge Miniport). Simply right-clic
    that device in Network Connections and select Disable. Restart the machin
    (although it may kick the network in automatically) and you should be goo
    to go

    When you go into a wireless environment, go into Network Connections
    right-click the connection you've been using with the Ethernet NIC an
    select Disable. Then turn on your wireless with the button, and you'll b
    okay
    --
    Chris H
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet P
    Tablet PC Universe - www.tabletpcuniverse.ne
    Tablet PC Chat - http://thetabletpc.net/support.ht
    Associate Exper
    Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzon

    (neither seems to have an impact) and my LAN is enabled. When I look at th
    LAN status it says I am connected at 100Mbps and that it has sent an
    received packets. It is not showing any bridged connections on the Tablet i
    Network Connections, when I look at my Desktop Network Connections I see
    Bridge-MAC Bridge Miniportdisable then re-enable it. Should I disable the wireless before I connect t

    Pam, Feb 10, 2004
  6. Pam

    Chris H. Guest

    Pam, I think you should ask your questions in one of the general networking
    newsgroups, but you would also need to specify what base station you're
    using (non-Tablet PC) and how that is set up. You cannot do wireless
    networking from the Tablet PC unless you've got a wireless base station.

    Chris H., Feb 10, 2004
  7. Pam

    Aaron Guest

    I have had this problem in the past. I found a software company
    called Obit Blue that developed an application to handle this issue.
    It has the ability to toggle between your wirless connection and wired
    connection based on the connectivity of your Lan card. So if you have
    a Lan connection it will disable your wireless connection eliminating
    any conflicts and when your Lan connection is lost it will enable your
    wireless. The product is called IP on the Fly and can be found at
    www.OrbitBlue.com

    Aaron, Feb 20, 2004