    Maybe the problem is with the disc I am using. I purchased a 4.7 Gb DVD-RAM
    disc with a cartridge and removed the casing. AFAIK, the disc inside the
    cartridge is a regular (jewel case) disc. I am wrong?

    Kari Hyvönen, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Kari Hyvönen

    eric ng Guest

    DVD-RAM disks are normally formatted and do not need further formatting. If
    there is one that doesn't, just right click the drive letter of the DVD-RAM
    and format via the Windows format utility. DVD-RAM is the most convenient
    format of all the three rival formats since you don't need any DVD writing
    software to write files to them. Windows treat RAM disks as a hard disk and
    so all Windows utilities can be applied to DVD_RAM.
    You are right. The cartridge type RAM is exactly the same as the
    non-cartridge type. Non-cartridge disks are mainly for non-panasonic drives
    which haven't got the special designed tray to take both DVD-RAM disk and
    the legacy PD disks. You will notice after a while of using DVD-RAM disk
    and DVD(+/-)RW disks, the RAM disks are much more durable and less
    vulnerable to scratch. Sadly, good format will never get popular!

    eric ng, Feb 16, 2004

  3. Thanks for answering. :)

    The problem is, I don't have Windows support for formatting. The drive
    appears as a CD-ROM drive on W2k, and there is no formatting aid available.
    Maybe so. Even the disks are hard to find on stores. I could only find the
    cartridge variety. Hopefully the DVD-RAM video recorders make the DVD-RAM
    disks more commonplace.

    Kari Hyvönen, Feb 16, 2004
  4. Kari Hyvönen

    eric ng Guest

    You do need to install the DVD-RAM hardware driver for using DVD-RAM. It
    should come with your drive. If yours is an OEM drive, try to go to do a
    search on the Internet for DVD-RAM driver. Once installed, Windows will see
    it as a hard drive and offers formatting facility. Any DVD-RAM driver you
    find on the Internet will work with your drive. I did use Panasonic driver
    for my LG drive.
    You can get the RAM disk from the Internet. As I said before, good format
    never propular, only a few suppliers supply them. If you are in UK, try
    www.mx2.co.uk. They offer reasonably priced consumables.

    eric ng, Feb 17, 2004