IOS Error: Real mode system memory allocation failed after adding AGP video card - please help

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Adam, Dec 5, 2006.

  1. Adam

    Adam Guest

    My current setup is as follows ...

    Asus A7V133 [rev 1.05. (with dot)] with VIA 4in1 driver v4.43
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    PCI Slot 1: Video - 32MB ATI RAGE Ultra (ATI Rage II+ PCI)
    PCI Slot 2: NIC - 3Com 3C905C-TX-M
    PCI Slot 3: Sound - Creative Labs SB Live! 5.1
    PCI Slot 4: USB Card
    PCI Slot 5: -----
    Operating System: Windows 98 Second Edition

    Doing the following ...
    - remove "temporary" PCI video card (from PCI Slot 1)
    [The PCI video card filled in for a "dying" AGP video card (from Leadtek).]
    - add AGP video card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR AGP)
    causes the following error (on boot in "Normal" mode) ...

    "While initializing device IOS:
    ERROR: Real mode system memory allocation failed."

    [Note: IOS error occurs only in "Normal" mode using ATI AGP video drivers.
    System boots successfully using Standard Display Adapter (VGA).
    System boots successfully into "Safe" mode. And,
    system boots successfully with "dying" AGP video card.]

    I suspect that the drivers that shipped with
    the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is not the right version for
    my Win98SE system. Any help would be much appreciated.

    Adam, Dec 5, 2006

  2. Adam

    Paul Guest

    Use your favorite search engine. This is the first page I found,
    that had "While initializing device IOS". Mentions VIA chipset
    and everything.

    http://www.cdavis.us/wiki/index.php/While_initializing_device_IOS

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 5, 2006

  3. Adam

    T Shadow Guest

    You can get the last driver for W98+Radeon here(Feb 06).
    http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

    Google is your friend. When you get an error, google for it.
    http://forums.winforums.org/showthread.php?t=3073

    VIA, should have known.

    T Shadow, Dec 5, 2006
  4. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Thanks for the link. I googled for days, tried my best to
    get the new ATI video card to work but no luck so ended up here.
    The link says to download the latest VIA Hyperion drivers.
    Since my system is running Win98SE, shouldn't I use 4in1 driver v4.43?

    Adam, Dec 5, 2006
  5. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Errr, I mean ... isn't VIA 4in1 v4.43 the best driver for
    the Apollo KT133A chipset?

    Adam, Dec 5, 2006
  6. Adam

    JLC Guest

    I might be wrong on this but I think that VIA has just renamed it's 4in1
    drivers to "Hyperion"
    Why not give them a try. If there not for your board they won't install, so
    nothing to worry about.
    JLC

    JLC, Dec 5, 2006
  7. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Yep, you're right ... the VIA Hyperion Pro v5.10a drivers solved the problem.
    My system works with the new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card now.
    It's FAST as expected. However, there's a "minor" problem.
    On bootup, I now get the following message ...

    Cannot find a device file that may be needed to
    run Windows or a Windows application.

    The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to
    this device file, but the device file no longer
    exists.

    If you deleted this file on purpose,
    try uninstalling the associated application using
    its uninstall or setup program.

    If you still want to use the application
    associated with this device file,
    try reinstalling that application to
    replace the missing file.

    viagart.vxd
    Press a key to continue

    The system boots fine after pressing a key.

    There's no reference to "viagart.vxd" in C:\Windows\SYSTEM.INI

    Adam, Dec 5, 2006
  8. Adam

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    Go to Start -> Run and type "regedit". Then select Edit -> Find and
    search for "viagart".

    I'm betting you'll find an orphaned reference to "viagart" at this
    registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Dec 5, 2006
  9. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Go to Start -> Run and type "regedit". Then select Edit -> Find and
    search for "viagart".

    I'm betting you'll find an orphaned reference to "viagart" at this
    registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD

    - Franc Zabkar

    Yes, the minor problem was resolved by deleting the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VIAGART

    Thanks to all for helping me resolve this problem. Really appreciate it.

    Adam, Dec 5, 2006