    lift it off, I hear a system sound that is the same as the one that is made
    when you snap a photo. Is this normal behavior? Not sure if I should
    be worried about a trojan on my iPad.

    W, Jan 6, 2014

  2. You mean you don't wear a condom when you're using it?

    Shame on you. Transmitting STDs.

    Michael Vilain, Jan 6, 2014

  3. W

    Your Name Guest

    Did you "jailbreak" your iPad?? If not, then it's *extremely* unlikely
    to be any kind of trojan or malware.

    Your Name, Jan 6, 2014
  4. W

    W Guest

    No jailbreak, but the Internet is loaded with trojans that listen in on an
    iPad, such as:

    http://www.webwatcher.com/?gclid=CKORmZ3m6LsCFYN_QgodMQIAig

    That was just one of the first links that pops up on a Google search for
    "spy software for ipad".

    In any case, I'm just trying to understand what events on an iPad lead to
    that shutter sound, because I seem to be triggering it.

    W, Jan 6, 2014
  5. In order for these exploits to work, you have to consciously download
    and install something that allows access to your iPad. Unless you've
    jailbroken your iPad, only stuff in the iTunes store can be installed on
    it. Apple would have stomped on this app pretty quickly.

    While the tin-foil hat you're wearing is rather dashing, you should
    seriously think about taking it off. It clashes with reality and just
    about everything you're wearing.

    Michael Vilain, Jan 6, 2014
  6. W

    Your Name Guest

    That is appears to be a legitmate product aimed at parents to keep
    track and secure what of what their kids are doing. It's not malware
    and it doesn't even work on iOS devices (yet? It will need to get
    through Apple's approval process before it does).

    Unless you've specifically installed something from an unknown / dodgey
    source website, which is basically impossible since you haven't
    jailbroken the iPad, then there is even less malware for iOS devices
    than there is for Mac OS (which is basically none anyway).

    I don't know. Best to ask in the "comp.mobile.ipad" newsgroup or
    Apple's support website to see if anyone has has the same sound, but it
    is not any kind of malware. Most likely it's just you or the cover
    pushing one of the buttons accidently.

    Your Name, Jan 6, 2014
  7. W

    J Burns Guest

    I wonder if it could be the gyro. I don't know how it works, but maybe
    the accelerometer turns it off when the iPad is lying at rest, to save
    power.

    J Burns, Jan 6, 2014
  8. W

    W Guest

    So going with that idea, what would be happening when I pick up the iPad
    that causes the shutter click sound?

    W, Jan 6, 2014
  9. W

    W Guest

    And no bad guy would ever use such software for a bad purpose because it was
    written for a legitimate use? If it is a computer, someone can write a
    trojan for it, and if they are good at writing trojans, they can escape
    notice for a long time.

    I installed an alternate browser from the Appstore, so minimum risk, but
    certainly not zero risk. How can Apple inspect every code path inside of
    hundreds of thousands of applicaitons?

    Thanks.

    W, Jan 6, 2014
  10. W

    J Burns Guest

    The accelerometer would start the gyro.

    J Burns, Jan 6, 2014
  11. W

    Lewis Guest

    That is spy software for a Windows PC, not for an iPad. There is no "spy
    software for iPad". None.
    Pressing both the home and power button with trigger it as the iPod
    takes a screen shot.

    Lewis, Jan 6, 2014
  12. Mine pings when I get an email.

    I've been trying to figure out how to turn that off.

    It seems to happen even when the thing is muted...

    Claude V. Lucas, Jan 6, 2014
  13. W

    Lewis Guest

    Settings -> Sounds

    Lewis, Jan 6, 2014
  14. Yeah, I broke down and looked for it after I posted...

    Thanks...

    Claude V. Lucas, Jan 6, 2014
  15. W

    W Guest

    Is your assumption that every time the gyro is activated on an iPad that it
    makes the shutter click sound?

    W, Jan 6, 2014
  16. W

    W Guest

    That's a great thought, but in that case I would expect to find a lot of
    screenshots in the photos library, corresponding to each of those screen
    click sounds I had been hearing. The only one I found was the one I just
    took.

    W, Jan 6, 2014
  17. W

    Your Name Guest

    Again: There is NO MALWARE for the iPad (unless you're stupid enough to
    jailbreak it). :-\

    Besides which, a piece of malware that takes a photo when you put down
    / pick up your iPad is completely useless to anyone.

    Your Name, Jan 6, 2014
  18. W

    J Burns Guest

    It's a guess.

    J Burns, Jan 6, 2014
  19. W

    Charles Guest

    Sounds like the cover is loose so when you put down the mini the
    magnets are waking up and putting the mini back to sleep. That is
    likely the sound you are hearing.

    Charles, Jan 7, 2014
  20. W

    Guest Guest

    no there isn't.
    that runs on a computer, not on an ipad.

    they claim 'coming soon' but it won't happen outside of a jailbroken
    device.
    either you're taking a photo or the app is making the sound.

    Guest, Jan 7, 2014