    those people that floridate your water. Maybe less time in the day room
    away from the computer is in order.

    Have fun with that tin foil hat, troll boy.

    Michael Vilain, Jan 12, 2014

  2. Or time-traveling industrial-rock-band terrorists.

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 12, 2014

  3. W

    W Guest

    If it can't access other applications and data from other applications,
    then it can't do any of that. It's that simple.[/QUOTE]

    Say the application is a chat application. Why couldn't it open up the
    microphone and listen to sounds in the room around the iPad? Why couldn't
    it sense when the iPad is activated and take photos? Why couldn't it
    browse allowed parts of the file system? If the application has Internet
    access it could establish an outgoing connection to a control channel, and
    then someone on the other end could use that connection to direct the
    actions of the application.

    No, that's not as bad as a rootkit virus on a desktop operating system.
    But it is intrusive.

    W, Jan 12, 2014
  4. W

    Guest Guest

    the exact number might not be 5%, but it's without question, very low.

    most people just say yes to anything because if they don't, the app
    will not function properly or be significantly limited in some way.

    some apps will not work at all if a feature it needs is disabled or if
    they don't agree to the terms of service, so most people just say yes
    to anything.

    Guest, Jan 12, 2014
  5. W

    Guest Guest

    Right, and how many people in normal course reject the installation of
    applications from the app store that ask for those permissions?[/QUOTE]

    not many, but if the user consents, it's *their* choice that the app
    can access something, not apple's.
    whatever the exact number is, it's definitely low.

    Guest, Jan 12, 2014
  6. W

    Guest Guest

    So what? I never said that one program would access any part of any other
    program. People keep repeating this point, as if it is a requirement for
    a Trojan. It is not.

    If a program can behave like a cell phone, and make calls, inspect common
    address book information, open data connections to a remote host, etc,
    plenty of mischief can be done.

    I understand that such a program might not get root access and might not
    have access to other applications. That gives me little comfort.[/QUOTE]

    it's difficult for an app to do something secret and get past apple,
    however, in the event an app does, it's immediately removed from the
    store.

    there is also a global kill switch to remove an app from all devices if
    it's *really* bad. fortunately, apple has not needed to utilize that.

    however, google has on numerous occasions killed and removed apps from
    android devices.

    Guest, Jan 12, 2014
  7. W

    Guest Guest

    Say the application is a chat application. Why couldn't it open up the
    microphone and listen to sounds in the room around the iPad?[/QUOTE]

    it could, but it will ask the user if it wants to use the microphone,
    and it can only access the microphone when running in the foreground
    anyway.

    what it *can't* do is access the microphone at random times.
    it could, but the user would notice it.
    the only allowed parts are the app's own sandbox.

    that's relatively boring. the good stuff is elsewhere, out of reach.
    that's a bit of a stretch but the user would have to run the app for
    that to even happen.

    when the user isn't running the app, there's nothing the other end
    could do.

    plus, the user would notice something odd happening anyway.
    it's also tinfoil hat material.

    Guest, Jan 12, 2014
  8. W

    Lewis Guest

    It's a lot simpler than you seem to think, and the proof is in the
    pudding as there have been no trojans.

    Apps on iOS are sandboxed, they can't interact with any other apps.

    Lewis, Jan 12, 2014
  9. Not to worry; he's hip hop, not industrial rock.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 13, 2014
  10. Don't we all? It's been seven years, and he still comes up in
    conversation every so often.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 13, 2014