iPad vs Tablet PC

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Megabyte, Sep 6, 2010.

  1. Megabyte

    Megabyte Guest

    As someone that owns and uses both an iPad and a Tablet PC I can honestly
    say that both have a lot to offer and I'm glad I have both. I truly miss
    the digital ink experience on the iPad but in terms of size and battery life
    the iPad is a winner. So there are pro's and con's to each.

    Many like to imply that the reasons the tablet pc platform never took off
    was because of the full blown desktop operating system paired with laptop
    like hardware. In my opinion the success of the tablet pc was hurt by the
    high prices that tablet pcs commanded. Many tablet pc's were about double
    the cost of a normal laptop and consumers were not prepared to spend higher
    amounts for an inking experience they failed to understand. MS and OEM's
    failed to market the power of digital ink. It took software developers like
    Josh Einstein to give us Tablet Enhancements for Outlook which in my opinion
    should have been bought by Microsoft and incorporated in to Outlook 2007 and
    now 2010.

    Buying an iPad brought back the memories of using my first tablet pc, an HP
    TC1100. The form factor of that model paired both slate and convertible in
    one and so why HP stupidly discontinued updated models of it is beyond me.
    I've been using the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet PC's now for a number of years
    but wish there was more software being developed to take advantage of
    digital ink. Several software projects seem to have died (Go Binder, TEO,
    etc.) yet the tablet pc still offers the same potential it offered when it
    was first released. MS failed miserably at marketing the Tablet PC and in
    making it a mainstream product but I still have hope that the new iPad and
    slate popularity will result in a larger uptake in the tablet pc's.

    Megabyte, Sep 6, 2010

  2. Megabyte

    Woody Guest

    I also have both, and would agree.
    I really don't think that is the case. Macbooks, top of the range sonys
    etc, big prices, still sell.
    For me, the problem I had mostly, and the thing that is fixed by the
    iPad is power. I can pick up the iPad, I can go about my day with it, I
    don't take a power supply and I don't worry about the power running out.

    I can't do absolutely everything I want on the iPad, but I can do enough
    to make it worth while.
    There should certaily have been enough of an option to make these things
    work on tablets well. It is nice that third parties can make options,
    but not nice that they have to.
    I had a tc1100, which is a great form factor, but heavy, poor battery
    life and the fact you have to use a pen. I liked the fujitsus I had
    before where you could use your finger, but then you couldn't use the
    pen. It would have been nice to have both.
    I am sure it will, although I suspect the largest takeups will be in
    android based systems.

    However, there was nothing to say that just becasue you want a finger
    friendly system like iPad or android, you have to throw everything that
    windows offers away, there was certainly no reason you couldn't put a
    nice front end on it, which ultimately is all most of these systems are.

    Woody, Sep 7, 2010