    ipod get a new revamp...with the new technology they just released the
    ipod is far behind. Think we will have to wait until june before they
    upgrade the ipod?

    Michael R. Weiler, Jan 9, 2007

  2. Michael R. Weiler

    Davoud Guest

    Counting from the time of your post, 132 days, 7 hrs, 19.0037379093
    sec, +/- .00025 sec.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Jan 9, 2007

  3. Michael R. Weiler

    Guest Guest

    And Cingular? How about unlocked ones or T-Mobile?
    (I can understand no Sprint/Verizon, inasmuch as they are
    GSM/EDGE, not CDMA)

    But Cingular? The worse of all the cell phone companies?
    Probably there will be other product announcements - ie. new iPod-only
    iPods - by the time the iPhones hit the market 6 months from now.

    Guest, Jan 9, 2007
  4. phhhhh... When is an iPOD with a 20-inch collapsible HD 1080p screen
    going to come out?
    :)

    Carl Witthoft, Jan 9, 2007
  5. Michael R. Weiler

    mgrahm Guest

    I agree with eveyone about it being only for Cingular. It would be nice
    they made one for someone like Verizon or even just made a new iPod
    with all of these cool features, except the phone. I have a friend that
    wants one, but lives where is no Cingular service. I think he is going
    to try and buy one without signing up for service, but I am guessing he
    will pay through the nose.

    Michael

    mgrahm, Jan 10, 2007
  6. Michael R. Weiler

    Zak. Guest

    That's the beginning of the end of the iPod.

    Zak., Jan 10, 2007
  7. Michael R. Weiler

    Per Rønne Guest

    Just as the introduction of Intel Macs is the beginning of the end of
    the PowerPC Macs ...

    Per Rønne, Jan 10, 2007
  8. Michael R. Weiler

    Randy Howard Guest

    Total BS. I have a quad-band GSM phone right now, and I have zero
    difficulty using it in the US, or abroad.

    Randy Howard, Jan 10, 2007
  9. Michael R. Weiler

    Guest Guest

    It'd still need internet access and bluetooth and 802.11 are not
    enough for that - unless you want to only use it at home or in a
    starbucks. Perhaps a next-gen iPod will be the iPhone without
    the cell-phone, but that complicates a few things - for one, it'd
    have to be more expensive (since the pricing of this one includes
    signing up for two-years of Cingular, which subsidizes the up-front
    price of the phone).
    We've got all the carriers here, but Cingular's is the least
    reliable. Moreover, almost as bad as the fact that it barely
    works at my house, is the fact that my experiences with Cingular
    have shown them to have the worst customer service by far of
    the cellular companies. And that's saying something. In fact,
    my experience with them makes me consider them criminals. I'll
    forgo the iPhone (and many other things) to avoid ever giving
    them my business.

    Guest, Jan 10, 2007
  10. Michael R. Weiler

    Guest Guest

    In fact, I had to switch from Sprint to T-Mobile where I am
    because Sprint's CDMA coverage had a huge hole here.

    Granted, as far as I've witnessed, Verizon's coverage is the
    best. But it has nothing to do with CDMA vs. GSM, and the
    difference, except perhaps in some more remote areas, is pretty
    small. In the more heavily populated areas - along the interstates
    and around the cities, it's pretty much a wash. As far as
    covering the *planet* GSM's got vastly more coverage.

    One more thing, though - the iPhone - does it have a user-replacable
    battery? Slot for the GSM SIM-card?

    Perhaps when they are available in other countries, we'll be
    able to get unlocked ones and pop in our existing SIMs. One
    might lose a little functionality (ie. Cingular reportedly
    redesigned their voice-mail system for this) but that's the
    only way I can see myself getting one at this point.

    Guest, Jan 10, 2007
  11. Michael R. Weiler

    Randy Howard Guest

    Yeah, everyone I know in my area with a Sprint phone bitches about it
    constantly.
    I have had Cingular for a long time. I haven't had nearly as much
    trouble with them, as I have had with my ISP (ironically, Verizon). In
    fact, I can't think of any problem I've had with Cingular.
    True. That's why I bought the Moto RAZR I have now, it works
    everywhere I've traveled to overseas, and oh by the way, I don't have
    to run around buying prepaid sim cards everywhere, Cingular has a
    "world" service in place, which you can enable/disable on a monthly
    basis, no contractual lock-in. Works flawlessly. Just remember to
    carry around a country->country cheat sheet. Especially in Europe,
    where the number you dial can change simply by driving across a border
    to get to the same person. Insane system. Anyway...
    I get the impression you aren't supposed to crack the case.
    I thought they showed a slot for one during the keynote, though they
    didn't cover it for more than a few seconds.

    Randy Howard, Jan 10, 2007
  12. No, it isn't.
    Close, but not quite.

    John McWilliams, Jan 10, 2007
  13. Michael R. Weiler

    Randy Howard Guest

    What you may find ironic is that I sort of live out in the 'boonies'
    and spend a lot of time out in the country, where cell phone is hit or
    miss for most folks, miles and miles from a major highway or city. On
    a 'bad day' I can stand on top of a ladder and get service where others
    in the same location with others can not. I'm guessing it has more to
    do with the particular phone being used, it's antenna, etc.
    Same for me, yet I use Cingular. Will miracles never cease.

    Perhaps your making of gross generalizations from statistically
    insignificant data points isn't such a good idea.

    Randy Howard, Jan 10, 2007
  14. Michael R. Weiler

    larwe Guest

    Wouldn't be a show-stopper if it is a sealed unit. T-Mobile's Sidekick
    series has a sealed non-replaceable battery. Frankly, I have not owned
    multiple batteries for my cell phones since AMPS days. Since a modern
    phone gets several days of standby and more talk time than I ever use
    in a day, why would I need to swap batteries?

    larwe, Jan 11, 2007
  15. Michael R. Weiler

    Guest Guest

    I haven't had multiple batteries for a while, either. But inasmuch
    as phones, especially PDA/Smartphones, inevitably sometimes crash
    or freeze, a last resort to force them to cycle is to pull the
    battery.
    A modern phone-only phone, maybe. A smartphone? Maybe a day,
    at most, of useful service. Unless they've put hydrogen fuel
    cells in these things, power and battery life is going to be
    an issue.

    Guest, Jan 11, 2007
  16. Michael R. Weiler

    Guest Guest

    Cingular bites. But that aside...
    That covers what, some 80-90% of the population?

    Guest, Jan 11, 2007
  17. Michael R. Weiler

    larwe Guest

    Plenty of PDAs have nonremovable batteries; the reset button always
    works for me.
    This is very much YMMV.

    larwe, Jan 11, 2007
  18. Michael R. Weiler

    Randy Howard Guest

    Agreed. It's been a long time since I even had a spare battery for a
    cell phone, much less carried it around with me.

    My guess is the ipod battery problem is driving this concern now.

    Randy Howard, Jan 11, 2007
  19. Michael R. Weiler

    Randy Howard Guest

    Yeah, but most of those are running Windows CE. :)
    Jobs talked about how great the battery life was, but frankly, that
    part of the demo and the numbers given left me cold. Less than a day.
    My RAZR will go several days without a recharge if I don't talk a lot
    on it. Even so, if there is a car charger for it, I won't care much
    either way.

    Randy Howard, Jan 11, 2007
  20. Michael R. Weiler

    Guest Guest

    Actually, I had that problem way too often with a Treo 650.
    Jobs has talked about the great battery life of the iPods
    every time he shows them, too.
    My Sony Ericsson t610 was *fantastic* -- unless I turned on
    bluetooth, which cut battery life by about half. The Treo?
    as I said, maybe a day with any actual use - maybe three
    with it hardly being used at all. (Not just my own treo,
    btw). My current motorola v360 - since I leave bluetooth
    on all the time, I don't know about without, but with
    normal, moderate voice-only use - three or so days.

    If battery life isn't a major issue for the iPhone, I'll
    be astounded.

    Guest, Jan 11, 2007