iPhone Security: iPhone Update v1.0.1

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Derek Currie, Aug 3, 2007.

  1. Derek Currie

    Derek Currie Guest

    (So when will there be an iPhone newsgroup? Until then:)

    Apple provided the first updated to the iPhone yesterday in the
    form of iPhone Update v1.0.1. It address a bunch of security
    concerns that were TROLLING around the net this past week.

    1) You can read the Secunia report about about the iPhone
    vulnerabilities at:

    <http://secunia.com/advisories/26287/>

    They mention these general problems with the original v1.0 iPhone:

    Cross Site Scripting
    Spoofing
    Denial of Service
    System Access

    2) You can read Apple's technical note about the security fixes
    in iPhone Update v1.0.1 at:

    Apple describe 5 patches involving:

    Safari
    WebCore
    WebKit

    For those keeping score you will notice that these vulnerability
    patches are similar to those in Mac OS X Security Update 2007-007.

    3) And for information overkill you can read even MORE about
    iPhone Update v1.0.1 at:

    <http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/07/31/iphone-update-101-released/
    AND

    <http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/08/01/iphone-update-101-undocumen
    ted-fixes-improvements-galore-volume-stability-vpn-battery-more/>

    They mention some undocumented fixes that were included with the
    update.

    4) And for those of you adventurous iPhone users who have HACKED
    your little beauty, naughty naughty. You need to read this:

    iPhone Update 1.0.1 troubleshooting: Problems installing
    (especially with hacks)

    <http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/08/01/iphone-update-101-troublesh
    ooting-problems-installing-especially-with-hacks-more/>

    The article describes the NECESSITY and METHOD of restoring your
    iPhone to original condition before installing the v1.0.1
    firmware update.

    Share and Enjoy,

    :-Derek

    --
    Fortune Magazine 11-29-05: What's your computer setup today?
    Frederick Brooks: I happily use a Macintosh. It's not been

    Derek Currie, Aug 3, 2007

  2. Essentially, they were the same bug fixes that were in the Safari update
    released the same day.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 3, 2007

  3. Derek Currie

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Oh, yes, shameful. I would be crushed if I had not
    had the opportunity to listen to the same six measures
    of the William Tell Overture for two minutes several
    times a day on the phone of someone who's never at her desk.

    Wes Groleau, Aug 4, 2007
  4. You really are a fucking moron. Ringtones are coming to a theatre near
    you. There's a pecking order of importance you stupid ass.

    Ura Dippschit, Aug 4, 2007
  5. Derek Currie

    Tim Adams Guest

    I guess you can't follow directions. http://www.modmyiphone.com/cmps_index.php

    Tim Adams, Aug 4, 2007
  6. Derek Currie

    Snit Guest

    I can understand your concern - seems Apple should allow different ring
    tones. Those hardly could be seen as a security risk.

    Snit, Aug 4, 2007
  7. Adding customized ringtones is so important to the function of a phone
    that it just won't work if you can't do that.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 4, 2007
  8. Derek Currie

    Snit Guest

    People do like to personalize their phones with ring tones. Would be nice
    if the iPhone 2 had more flexibility in this area.

    Snit, Aug 4, 2007
  9. People do like to personalize their phones with ring tones. Would be
    nice if the iPhone 2 had more flexibility in this area.[/QUOTE]

    Yes, it would be nice. And I'm fairly sure that Apple will include that
    functionality.

    Personally, the major missing feature so far as I am concerned is
    voice-recognition calling. I think that is the highest priority missing
    feature they should address.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 4, 2007
  10. Derek Currie

    Snit Guest

    Yes, it would be nice. And I'm fairly sure that Apple will include that
    functionality.

    Personally, the major missing feature so far as I am concerned is
    voice-recognition calling. I think that is the highest priority missing
    feature they should address.[/QUOTE]

    A more easily replaced battery should be pretty high on the list, too.

    Snit, Aug 4, 2007
  11. A more easily replaced battery should be pretty high on the list,
    too.[/QUOTE]

    In the nine years I've owned cell phones, I've never had the need to
    replace a battery.

    I doubt that Apple could have kept the form factor for the iPhone that
    it has if it had a user replaceable battery.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 4, 2007
  12. Fucking common sense you complete stupid fucking asshole. God you are a
    pathetic piece of shit. Go crawl back into your hole you ****!

    Ura Dippschit, Aug 4, 2007
  13. Derek Currie

    Snit Guest

    In the nine years I've owned cell phones, I've never had the need to
    replace a battery.

    I doubt that Apple could have kept the form factor for the iPhone that
    it has if it had a user replaceable battery.[/QUOTE]

    Hmmm, I have known a few people who have had to - I wonder how common it is.
    If it is something that is pretty rare than I may stand corrected on this.

    Snit, Aug 5, 2007
  14. I have a great idea: don't get an iPhone, and shut the **** up.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 5, 2007
  15. Nice argument. You really put me in my place. What a staggering
    intellect.[/QUOTE]

    I was trying to reach you at your own level; I guess that I didn't get
    low enough.

    The logic should be simple enough even for you: If you don't like the
    phone, don't buy it. You're whinging about it just makes you look
    childish.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 5, 2007
  16. And common sense dictates that something so obvious will be addressed.
    What the **** aren't you getting here, dumbfuck?

    Speaking of stupid - what are we supposed to thing about the little worm
    that sits around trolling in Macintosh groups to get his jollies. You're
    a pathetic piece of shit.

    Ura Dippschit, Aug 5, 2007