iPhone unlocked: AT&T loses iPhone exclusivity

Discussion in 'Apple' started by AirRaid, Aug 24, 2007.

  1. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    iPhone unlocked: AT&T loses iPhone exclusivity, August 24, 2007,
    12:00PM EDT

    Posted Aug 24th 2007 12:00PM by Ryan Block

    It's high noon, Apple and AT&T -- we really hate to break it to you,
    but the jig is up. Last night the impossible was made possible: right
    in front of our very eyes we witnessed a full SIM unlock of our iPhone
    with a small piece of software. It's all over, guys.

    The iPhoneSIMfree.com team called us up to prove their claim that they
    cracked Apple's iPhone SIM lock system, and prove it they did. (No, we
    don't have a copy of the unlock software, so don't even ask us, ok?)
    The six-man team has been working non-stop since launch day, and
    they're officially the first to break Apple's SIM locks on the iPhone
    with software. It's done. Seriously. They wouldn't tell us when and
    how they would release it to the public, but you can certainly bet
    that they'll try to make a buck on their solution (and rightly so). We
    can hardly believe the iPhone's finally been cracked. No, scratch that
    -- we just can't believe it took this long.

    http://tinyurl.com/28pmgd

    AirRaid, Aug 24, 2007

  2. And how do you make a call on the unlocked unit again?

    Ura Dippschit, Aug 24, 2007

  3. AirRaid

    Ian Gregory Guest

    Hey, I have a T-Mobile contract!:)

    Not that it makes any difference to me since I have no intention
    of spending any money on a phone and I seriously doubt that T-Mobile
    will be offering iPhones as free upgrades to customers.

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Aug 24, 2007
  4. AirRaid

    Derek Currie Guest

    You won't hear me complain. As you know I love hacking and white
    hat cracking. Dig on the security vulnerabilities, break the
    firewalls, etc. Just don't be an assh*le about it. Do it for the
    benefit of the product and its users. Whether that is the case
    here is uncertain, but we'll see.

    Meanwhile, I seriously doubt that:

    A) Anyone is going to pay anything for this crack.

    B) Anyone with the crack is going to be able to use the iPhone
    with another service. It could be interesting to see how this
    point plays out, whether the OTHER phone company could be fooled
    by the faked SIM chip.

    C) There will be much benefit in using some other phone company
    over AT&T. I think they all have pretty much figured out how to
    nickel and dime us all to death via one tricky feature or another.

    :-Derek

    --
    Fortune Magazine 11-29-05: What's your computer setup today?
    Frederick Brooks: I happily use a Macintosh. It's not been

    Derek Currie, Aug 24, 2007
  5. AirRaid

    ed Guest

    unlock codes for other phones get sold all the time for $20-$30.
    you don't 'fake' a sim chip w/ a unlocked phone. you use a real sim chip
    from the other service you want to use.

    <snip>

    ed, Aug 24, 2007
  6. AirRaid

    Tim McNamara Guest

    According to the articles in more reputable press outlets, the unlocking
    process requires both soldering skills as well as software skills (so,
    possible to toast your iPhone and certainly voiding the warranty). The
    owner of the unlocked phone was able to use it on Verizon. The process
    has been posted to the team leader's blog.

    Tim McNamara, Aug 25, 2007
  7. AirRaid

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Hmmm. Maybe that was T-Mobile not Verizon. Randomly Accessible Memory
    as I get older! There's an article on Slashdot, check that.

    Tim McNamara, Aug 25, 2007
  8. AirRaid

    Ian Gregory Guest

    Depends what you mean by higher-end, they offer some pretty
    impressive phones as free upgrades to loyal customers - and
    if you go into one of their shops you can sometimes talk the
    sales dude into giving you something higer-end than what
    they initially say you can have (all it takes is mentioning
    that you might look around for another network that will
    give you something better).

    But I agree, even an accomplished blagger is unlikely to end
    up with anything that is a serious competitor to an iPhone
    (Apple would probably say that there are no serious competitors).

    And I think you missed the joke. Of course they won't offer an
    iPhone as an upgrade (let alone a free one) because:

    1) It doesn't *officially* work with T-Mobile
    2) It would annoy Apple, with whom they may want a future parnership
    3) In the absense of such a partnership Apple won't supply them

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Aug 25, 2007
  9. There are now both hardware and software hacks announced:

    http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/24/1858252

    Chris McDonald, Aug 25, 2007
  10. And how does the visual voicemail act?

    Ura Dippschit, Aug 25, 2007
  11. AirRaid

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    Kurt Ullman, Aug 25, 2007
  12. AirRaid

    Nashton Guest

    We need a different ng for the iPhone. It's made by Apple, yes, but I
    think it merits another place to talk about it;)

    Nashton, Aug 25, 2007
  13. That is not true. You can walk into any Apple Store and buy an iPhone
    without signing a contract, or you can order one from Apple's online
    store without signing a contract.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 25, 2007
  14. And how does the visual voicemail act?[/QUOTE]

    That is the only thing that doesn't work. But regular voicemail works.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 25, 2007
  15. What is there to hack on the web side?

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 25, 2007
  16. AirRaid

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    Didn't know, that was one of the reasons I asked. I am not
    aggressively ignorant, more passively so (g). Someone earlier in the
    thread suggested that they did not know if the reliance on EDGE for
    webside functionality was going to mean that the webside wouldn't work.

    Kurt Ullman, Aug 25, 2007
  17. AirRaid

    Guest Guest

    Once it's unlocked, you can put in any SIM chip from any
    GSM based provider. The video I saw showing it demonstrated
    using a T-Mobile SIM chip and then making a call.

    Apparenly, almost all the standard features work - calls,
    EDGE-based web surfing, etc. Missing things: visual voicemail
    (regular voicemail was fine) and YouTube videos.

    Guest, Aug 25, 2007
  18. If you have a WiFi connection, there's no problem; WiFi is not dependent
    upon AT&T at all. If the other carrier (T Mobile being the only one at
    present) supports EDGE, there's no problem, and reports are that it does.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 25, 2007
  19. AirRaid

    ZnU Guest

    Meh. It runs OS X, which makes it more on-topic for CSMA than the iPod,
    about which this group has hosted interminable discussions over the
    years.

    ZnU, Aug 25, 2007
  20. Meh. It runs OS X, which makes it more on-topic for CSMA than the
    iPod,[/QUOTE]

    If rumors are correct, we'll be seeing OS X based iPods in about a week
    and a half.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 25, 2007