iPod battery life when unused

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jorl Shefner, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Jorl Shefner

    Jorl Shefner Guest

    I have a 3rd generation 15GB iPod which I got about 3 months ago. Ever
    since I got it, if I charge it fully in the dock and then unplug it, it
    will be completely discharged within 2 days (won't even display the
    screen until I recharge it). The apple page indicates a 'standby'
    battery life of 14-28 days.

    What are most people experiencing?

    My battery life during usage is only 4 or 5 hours as well, so I might
    have a bad battery, but I also wonder if it might be a software issue,
    or related to leaving it for an extended period in the dock charger as
    some people have noted in this NG.

    As it is, it's of limited value to me. I'm going to try a reset as
    well, just in case this helps.

    Anyone have similar experiences?

    JS

    Jorl Shefner, Jun 30, 2003

  2. Jorl Shefner

    Rick Jones Guest

    Well, I've had one expereince where my wife asserted that the device
    claimed (30G model) a full charge after being in the cradle connected
    to the iMac for a while. She then took it out of the cradle. I then
    took the thing to work, powered it up, and it said that the battery
    was dead. My iMac is set to go to sleep after a time, which means
    that getting the iPod fully chaged in the cradle is something that
    takes a looong time. I wonder (uninformed guessing) if there is some
    power drain from the iPod's batteries if the firewire is connected to
    a machine that is in sleep mode (and thus putting now power - iirc -
    out on the firewire).

    I seem to have better luck charging the beastie with the AC adaptor.
    Hmm, that sounds similar to what I got with the dock charger - I
    wonder if it doesn't play well with sleep mode on the computer.

    I have gotten better battery life by remembering to explicitly sleep
    the iPod when I'm not using it.

    rick jones

    Rick Jones, Jun 30, 2003

  3. Jorl Shefner

    hanley_chris Guest

    I have a third generation 10gb ipod !
    I have the same results but I plug my ipod into the wall socket to
    charge (as the 10gb doesn't come with a dock).

    I guess my ipod gets about 3 hours max and if I leave it for 2 or 3
    days it discharges

    hanley_chris, Jul 1, 2003