iPod music played through connected Mac

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Bruce, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Hey folks-

    Anyone know of a piece of software that can play iPod music through an
    attached Mac's speakers (without being the "mother-mac" to the iPod or
    extracting the iPod music to the mac's hard drive)? I thought I
    recalled seeing one on VersionTracker a while ago but I can't seem to
    find it (or anything else) now.

    Let me explain: I have my music collection on my iMac at home, and my
    iPod is sync'd with the iMac. At work I have a PowerMac G4 with
    speakers. I connect my iPod to my work machine when I charge it or
    use the iPod as a portable drive to-and-from home.

    While it's connected, I'd like to be able to play my music through the
    G4's speakers directly from the iPod (i.e. without having to copy the
    music to the G4 and play from the G4's hard disk).

    I did try at least one utility which was able to do this, but it could
    only play one song at a time (and the utility was really designed to
    extract music). As a result, I had to switch back to the application
    every time a song ended. I'd like a software that could, say, play a
    playlist, or songs at random, etc..

    [I do realize that it is technically possible to copy the music to the
    G4, but I'd rather not do any illegal music copying there, especially
    since I work at a university - target #1 for RIAA]

    Help much appreciated!
    TIA,
    Bruce

    Bruce, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Bruce

    Paul McGrane Guest

    Your iPod should show up in iTunes on the G4. Play from there.

    Paul McGrane, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Bruce

    Hugh Wolf Guest

    iTunes on the G4 will happily play the songs from your iPod in this
    configuration. I do it all the time.

    You don't need to copy the tracks just to listen to them on your G4,
    but it's worth mentioning that it's completely legal for you to make
    copies for your own use if you want to, assuming the tracks on the
    iPod were themselves made legally (eg from a cd you legally own).
    Don't let riaa misinformation frighten you.

    Hugh Wolf, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Bruce

    Guest Guest

    iTunes.

    The iPod should show up there.

    (Set the iPod up not to "automatically synchronize" - do that all
    by hand - and you can plug the iPod into as many macs as you like).

    Guest, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    My iPod does show up, but all the songs are greyed out, and my iPod's
    playlists don't display. Is there some configuration step I'm
    missing?

    Bruce

    Bruce, Oct 20, 2003