ipod question before purchase

Discussion in 'Dell' started by RnR, Nov 29, 2006.

  1. RnR

    RnR Guest

    Sorry if this is off topic but I know some of you must deal with
    Ipods, hence I took a chance.....

    I'm in the market for a 2nd gen Ipod nano and cover as a gift (for a
    college student) but wonder if the leather covers made for the Nano
    work also for the 2nd generation? The covers' packaging say nothing
    with regard to the 2nd generation (actually one did but it looked
    flimsy). Most of the covers were copyrighted 2005 before the 2nd
    generation were sold.

    I'd like to know all of this before I make the purchases to avoid
    incovenience and returns. I purposely avoided asking the salespeople
    because I wasn't sure they were going to tell me the truth.

    Appreciate the help and if you have any advice, feel free to give it
    since I'm new to mp3 players. I did do some research and decided on
    the Nano due to size, # of accessories and popularity but there is
    nothing like listening to experienced people <grin>.

    Thanks in advance.

    ps-- if there is a more appropriate newsgroup, please tell me and I'll
    post there. thanks.

    RnR, Nov 29, 2006

  2. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    I don't know, but would suspect not. The 1st Gen is a little larger and
    more square. The 2nd gen is much more rounded.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 29, 2006

  3. RnR

    Notan Guest

    Notan, Nov 29, 2006
  4. RnR

    Tom2000 Guest

    If the student isn't locked into the Mac and iTunes, take a peek at
    the SanDisk Sansa E200 series. I just picked one up, and it's some
    kind of wonderful.

    Tom2000, Nov 29, 2006
  5. RnR

    FatKat Guest

    I'm, looking to get the E260 (or whatever the model number is for the
    4gb Sansa). It looks sweet and it's cheaper than a similarly sized
    iPod, but I hear that it's sound is conspicuously inferior. Have you
    compared the two?

    FatKat, Nov 30, 2006
  6. RnR

    Tom2000 Guest

    No, I haven't.

    The sound is just fine to me, using the supplied earbuds, a Sony
    folding in-ear headset, or my home Sennheisers.

    I'm a jazz and classical listener, and like the precision and detail
    the E250 provides. (I rip my CDs at 320 kbps, .mp3 format, using the
    LAME encoder.)

    There's a Custom EQ adjustment that I had to tune to my ears. But
    once I did, I was very happy with the sound. It wasn't all that bad
    using the Normal EQ setting, but fine-tuning it brought out the best
    for me.

    If you get the chance, try both of them. On each, adjust the
    equalizers to your preferences.

    Tom

    Tom2000, Dec 1, 2006
  7. RnR

    SMS Guest

    Much better than the Nano, but some kids demand the iPod. The advantages
    of the Sansa E series are the user-replaceable battery, the FM tuner,
    and the memory expansion slot.

    It's possible to play iTunes songs on the Sansa, but it's a pain to do
    the conversion.

    SMS, Dec 1, 2006