    maybe the high voltage is Ok. I would appreciate hearing what anyone here
    thinks about the high voltage readings and why there is such a difference
    between the values reported by BIOS and Probe.

    Bill Schaible, Jan 8, 2006

  2. I'd check with a DVM first, but say exchange it. The on-board voltage
    sensors, are not that accurate, but no ATX supply should not be outside
    +/-10% (many of the rails are required to be tighter than this). Even the
    lower figure, puts you really out of spec. The normal reason for this, is
    a PSU, that is regulated on one rail only, and is heavily loaded on this
    rail, with not as much load as expected on the other. If the machine is
    lightly loaded on the 12v rail, but relatively more heavily loaded on the
    5v rail, and the supply is one that regulates on the 5v line, then this
    sort of value would be seen. If the rail really is at 14.1, then it is not
    just bad, but awful...

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Jan 8, 2006

  3. Bill Schaible

    DaveW Guest

    You risk burning out some of your computer components with that
    over-voltage. Return it.

    DaveW, Jan 10, 2006