is 160 gb internal hard drive compatible with IC7-Max3 and xp home with latest service pack?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Jim Hester, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. Jim Hester

    Jim Hester Guest

    This may have been asked before but I could not find it with a search.
    I just bought a WD WDC1600(160 gb) retail hard drive and am now
    wondering if will work with the IC7-Max3 without a controller card and
    give full capacity? WD included their Data Lifeguard Tools disc
    version 11.0. They say this software will make it work but I have a
    question there. I use Win XP home with the latest service pack.
    Does it still work like the earlier versions of their software that
    was hard to remove if you wanted to. Also would it be compatible with
    Partition Magic version 8.01. Could I use the WD disk and still do the
    NTFS partitions with Partition Magic?

    I apologize for so many questions but I would really appreciate any
    information on this.

    Thanks in advance,

    Jim

    Jim Hester, Dec 15, 2003

  2. Jim Hester

    Chris Guest

    Couldn't find your drive on WD's site, so don't know whether it's EIDE or
    SATA.
    Anyways, I'm using an IC7-MAX3 with the following:
    2x 200Gb Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 in RAID0
    1x 200Gb Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 in non-RAID
    All on SATA (the RAID array on ICH5R, the non-RAID disk on Sil3114). With XP
    Pro SP1.
    No problems at all - all drives were recognized by BIOS and by XP at their
    correct sizes.
    I use PartitionMagic 8 without problems.
    Thx,
    Chris.

    Chris, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Jim Hester

    John Lewis Guest

    DO NOT USE Data Lafeguard at all !!!! No need with the IC7 series.

    If you have used it -- start all over again...............
    Yes, of course. I use PM8.01 for all formatting duties. I have
    use PM since version 3. Indispensible tool if you build lots
    of PCs -- like I do.........

    Also Drive Image 7 is the other indispensible tool for
    secure image backups. Backs up to all writeable
    DVDs as well.
    I have a IC7-G (Max2) with the following

    IDE1 Master: 120Gbyte/8Meg WD
    Slave: 160Gbyte/8Meg WD

    (ICH5R) SATA 3 (via Serillel2) : 120 Gbyte/8Meg WD
    SATA 4 (via Serillel2): 250 Gbyte/8Meg WD

    (IC7-G BIOS V1.8)

    Works like a champ.

    I do heavy-duty digital-video editing, so I need this capacity
    when running several time-coincident projects.
    I use multiple 30-40Gbyte partitions (for extra crash-security)
    and NO RAID (for similar reasons). RAID is not necessary
    for DV editing anyway; with the fast WD disks and lots of
    RAM, the bottleneck is always the CPU.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Jim Hester

    Jim Hester Guest

    Thanks for the replies to my question about the 160 gb hard drive. I
    did try Partition Magic 8.01 and it worked fine, it allowed the full
    amount that you would expect from a 160 gb hard drive.

    Jim

    Jim Hester, Dec 16, 2003