    suggestions.

    Thanks,

    Dan

    Dan, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Dan

    Ben Pope Guest

    Yes.

    But be careful about wich board and processor you pick... Although they are
    unlocked, if you want to change the multiplier from 12.5 or less to 13 or
    more, or vice versa, it may not be as simple as you think.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Aug 5, 2003

  3. Dan

    BillW Guest

    I don't overclock. I prefer stability to the miniscule gain and lack of
    stability that overclocking gives you. And as far as bragging rights, who
    cares.....

    BillW, Aug 5, 2003
  4. Dan

    Ben Pope Guest

    My point is that 166MHz*11 = 1.83GHz (default for your processor)
    If you're gonna run it at 133MHz*11 thats 1.46GHz (way underclocked ~20%)
    So you could run it at 133MHz * 13.5 = 1.80GHz (Clocked about right)

    But that wouldn't work easily on an A7N8X for example, as you would need to
    change the 5th bit of the multiplier (less than 12.5 to greater then 13) and
    the motherboard can't do that.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Aug 5, 2003
  5. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Thanks a lot to everyone for the suggestions. I'll probably go with the 333
    FSB.

    Dan

    Dan, Aug 6, 2003
  6. I am in total agreement with your decision to bite the bullet and get 333
    fsb.

    Underclocking a processor can be just as detrimental to performance as
    over-clocking. My XP3K+ got clocked down to 1300mhz due to a motherboard
    accident (fscking stupid ASUS overclock protection...i didn't overclock it)
    and the system crashed constantly (partially due to W98, but mostly due to
    the underclock).

    In general, stick to default settings and you'll be fine.

    Whitesell \(Verizon\), Aug 6, 2003