IS-7 & P4 2.4C: cpu unworkable or has changed

Discussion in 'Abit' started by mhd, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. mhd

    mhd Guest

    I've been plagued with this POST message since I received my new IS-7 board
    this week. Here's the timeline.

    The board shipped with BIOS 13. After assembly, I cleared CMOS, then powered
    up. At first POST, I got a CMOS checksum error, which is expected I think
    after a CCMOS. I hit DEL to get into BIOS and entered SOFTMENU. I noticed
    that the CPU was identifed as the correct one (P4 2.4C), but it was
    reporting as running at 100x12. So I hit F10, saved and rebooted. Next POST
    it still reports the ID correctly, but speed incorrectly.

    Since I needed the RAID 1 functionality of BIOS 15, I decided to flash.
    After flash and boot, the POST reports the correct ID and correct speed
    (200x12).

    But as soon as the IDE scan is completed, the dreaded CPU has changed or is
    unworkable message appears.

    I go into SOFTMENU and all looks well. ID'd as the P4 2.4C and reported as
    running at 200x12. F10 to save, reboot & POST gives me the same message.
    Over and over again.

    I think I may need to RMA the board. I'm sure the CPU is ok, but will verify
    in another system this weekend. Any other ideas before I RMA the board?

    thanks,

    Mike

    mhd, Nov 1, 2003

  2. mhd

    TomG Guest

    when it gives you the CPU unworkable message, does it ever identify the CPU
    speed on the main screen without going into the bios setup screens? if so,
    what is the cpu identified as?

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 118,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Nov 1, 2003

  3. mhd

    Skid Guest

    There are a couple of bios settings that can cause this.

    Speed Error Hold -- disable it. It's supposed to prevent accidental
    overclocking, but can occasionally hose things even at stock speeds.

    Halt On All Errors -- this one is there to stop booting if something is
    disconnected, like the keyboard or mouse, for example. Changing it to halt
    on no errors may get you over the hump.

    Some early bios versions were prone to the "CPU changed or unworkable"
    message. But you say you've flashed to a later one. I'd also try clearing
    the CMOS again, this time following the procedure in the manual step-by-step
    and leaving the power off for at least two minutes.

    Skid, Nov 1, 2003
  4. mhd

    mhd Guest

    Tom,

    It identifies the CPU correctly (P4 2.4C Hyperthreading enabled), and
    reports the speed correctly as well (200x12).

    After the IDE scan it halts with the cpu unworkable message. Then when I go
    into the BIOS and check SOFTMENU it has the appropriate settings as well.
    Hit F10 and save, reboots with the same correct info at POST, then halts
    after the IDE scan with the CPU unworkable message.

    thanks,

    Mike

    mhd, Nov 1, 2003
  5. mhd

    mhd Guest

    The Abit BIOS doesn't have the Speed Error Hold setting, but I have changed
    the Halt On All Errors to no errors and yes, it will then get me past this
    bump without the cpu unworkable error. Seems odd that it would need this. My
    Asus board doesn't for the same CPU (P4P800 Deluxe).

    I've left the CCMOS jumper on with the power cord out for 2 hours to no
    affect. Took out the battery for an hour with CCMOS jumper on, to no affect.

    thanks,

    Mike

    mhd, Nov 1, 2003
  6. mhd

    Skid Guest

    I can't explain it either. But I'm glad you were able to get around it.

    Skid, Nov 1, 2003
  7. mhd

    TomG Guest

    see Skid's post for some good info...