    Also, does this look like a pretty good gaming setup, what would you change?

    Thanks

    Giz

    Gizzo, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Gizzo

    Servo Guest

    I'd go with no less than a 400 watt PSU (I prefer Antech). If I was
    going to change anything I'd add another stick of RAM and if possible
    get a 256mb video card. I build 2 or 3 systems a year and I always
    install a bigger PSU than I think I'll need.

    --
    Servo
    "You gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?"

    Servo, Aug 16, 2004

  3. Gizzo

    JD Guest

    You need minimum around 250W for that system. So it should be enough, assuming its a good brand name that is really 350W. That being said, if you have not purchased the power supply yet....GO BIGGER! 420W+. When you add another hard drive and more ram and maybe another video card upgrade in the future of one that draws friggin 150W you will be begging for more.

    It is a great system but I'd definitely go minimum 1GB ram. A game like planetside works a lot better with over a gig of ram. It's generally more to do with load times than actual gameplay though so its up to you. Of course, RAM is something that can easily be added later if you cannot afford it now whereas skimping on CPU or Video card means a total replacement.

    If you added another hard drive you could use the windows XP dynamic disk to create a RAID drive for extra speed. But that is definitely something you can do in the future, but best to partition your drive first to allow for it (ie give the windows partition 60GB and have a 2nd partition of the remaining 100GB then add a 100GB hard drive in the future and setup dynamic disk between the 2nd drive and the 100GB partition of the first disk then mount it as c:\program files\raid\ to get a monster 200GB partition for all your game files :)

    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    Just wondering if a 350 watt power supply is enough for this system:
    Pentium 4 3.2E GHz 1MB cache
    WD 160gb 7200 rpm 8mb cache
    LG 4120B DVD burner
    ASUS P4C800-DLX Intel 875P, 800MHz FSB, Dual DDR400
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro card 128mb
    Corsair 512MB PC-3200 DDR400 SDRAM (VS512MB400C3)
    Creative Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1

    JD, Aug 16, 2004
  4. Gizzo

    who be dat? Guest

    I think you'll be fine. Running a a 370 Watter here with more stuff than what you have. No problems at all.

    Chris Smith

    who be dat?, Aug 16, 2004
  5. Gizzo

    Shawk Guest

    Wouldnt change a thing but if you are thinking about a different PSU
    (depends on whether yours is a good brand) I like the Antec truepower. I
    just bought a new case to house my 9800 Pro (wanted the extra cooling and
    bigger PSU). Went for the Antec 1080AMG and this came complete with the
    430W truepower. Buying them together like that makes the cost worthwhile.
    Shaun

    Shawk, Aug 16, 2004
  6. Gizzo

    Husky Guest

    If you haven't bought it yet, I just replaced a 2 week old 350 watter for a
    400. This ones only on its 1st week, but I think it may have a better chance.
    It now has a ram tunnel fan installed, in addition to the 3-5 other fans
    running.

    Husky, Aug 17, 2004
  7. Gizzo

    Dado Guest

    When I assembled my Gigabytes in Sept. 2002, the "don't remember brand" 350Watt
    failed in just under 6 months, I replaced with an Antec 300Watt, the 5.0V was
    unstable and computer will not start if hot. Two weeks ago my Gigabyte fried, I
    replaced the Mobo and Soyo's 400 watt PSU with adjustable 3.3 and 5.0 LED
    output. I bought it at Micro Center for $66.99 with a $30 rebates. It still on
    sales till Aug.29.

    Dado, Aug 17, 2004
  8. Gizzo

    @ndrew Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/24zoz

    regards

    @ndrew

    @ndrew, Aug 17, 2004
  9. Gizzo

    Autodidact Guest

    I would upgrade the sound card to an Audigy 2 or a Turtle Beach. In my experience, it's best to go way beyond what's required for the PSU. Saves a lot of headaches in the long run.

    Autodidact, Aug 17, 2004
  10. Depends... Power isn't everything, you also need to take a look at how
    the current is distributed over the various voltages. If a supply can
    deliver 25 A on the 12 V and 10 A on the 5 V it will be useless if the
    mainboard generates the CPU supply (about 100 W) from the 5 V...

    The ideal way is to get the data sheets of everyhing that has a power
    connector and then try and calculate the number of amperes you need on
    each supply voltage and find a supply capable of delivering that (of
    course with a safe margin). This is also how manufacturers like Dell
    manage to put amazingly small power supplies in their systems and still
    keep them stable.

    The downside is that this is quite a laborious task, and that not all
    data sheets contain the information you need. Not to mention the
    availability of data sheets in the first place.

    Kind regards,
    Danny Sanders www
    (o o)
    ,---------------------------------------------------oOO--(_)--OOo-.
    | This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons. |
    `-----------------------------------------------------------------'

    Danny Sanders, Aug 17, 2004
  11. Gizzo

    Dodgy Guest

    Plus there's the matter of quality over quantity.

    I have a machine which gave me nothing but trouble with a 350watt. The
    machine was an Athlon 1Ghz (gives you an idea how long I've had it), 3
    case fans plus CPU cooler, network, sound card and modem. I had 4 hard
    drives and a SCSI DCROM and CDRW so I thought I was probably pushing
    my luck, so I upgraded to a 430watt and it improved but it was still a
    bit of a bitch at times. I pretty much wrote it off as a dodgy one.
    Recently, I changed the cheapy 430watt for another 430watt, this time
    an Antec TruePower, and suddenly bitch machine is solid and stable as
    a rock... I'd originally got the PSU in for another machine and just
    thought I'd give it a try on the off chance. I've now had to buy
    another PSU.

    D0d6y.

    Dodgy, Aug 17, 2004
  12. Gizzo

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    It depends on the power supply, but yes, if it's a good one.
    I just went from an antec 450w that was not stable at 5v or 12v (ran 4.95
    and 11.93 +or-) to a FORTRON350 FSP350-60PN RTL with single 120mm fan
    (bought it based on some reviews). It's quiet, the voltages are stable and
    right on the money. My 2.4C is oc'd to 3.12 and my 3DM '03 score with a
    9800Pro was 6820 and with a 6800GT it's 12,755. So, the power supply is
    stable.

    Gary

    --
    Tweaks & Reviews
    www.slottweak.com

    GTX_SlotCar, Aug 17, 2004
  13. Gizzo

    Chastiza Guest

    You'll be fine so long as you stick with a solid brand name PSU. The Antec 350 watt dual fan would be a solid choice. I would not go larger at this time because of the new form factor comming soon, and you will not be able to use it in the new BTX form factor if you up-grade. So for $55 at staples for the Antec instead of $99 for the 420 watt is smart bet.

    Chastiza, Aug 17, 2004
  14. Gizzo

    JD Guest

    Frick....another form factor!! Argh! Conspiracy!!!

    JD, Aug 18, 2004
  15. Gizzo

    R M Guest

    R M, Aug 19, 2004
  16. Gizzo

    Nada Guest

    I have a feeling that those power supplies used in those mini-PCs are
    well-defined, so a straight comparison to a usual ATX-tower built PCs
    is difficult. There's not a lot of room for extra peripherals and
    extra components inside the Shuttle rig.

    Nada, Aug 19, 2004
  17. Your question makes a fundamental assumption that is not correct.

    It assumes that all "350 watt supplies" are the same

    They are not.

    The answer to your question is, somee are enough, some are not.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 20, 2004
  18. Gizzo

    GMAN Guest

    Use this power supply calculator to get a feel for what you need. IMHO a 350
    is just too low for todays video cards and P4 systems. A 450 or higher is
    suggested

    try it here

    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    GMAN, Aug 20, 2004