Is a Duplicate an exact duplicate?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Norm, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Norm

    Norm Guest

    I ask that question for several reasons:

    1. I'm about to upgrade to Tiger and I may use the Erase and Install
    option. If so, I was going to use the Migration Assistant to transfer my
    files from my external FW drive which has a Retrospect Duplicate of my
    internal drive.

    2. If I ever have a major crash of my internal hard drive, my plan was
    to install a new hard drive and the Duplicate the Duplicate back to the
    new internal hard drive and then Restore the User folder which I backup
    with Retrospect daily.

    3. When I have booted from the Retrospect Duplicate on my external FW
    partition, it does some things that makes me wonder if it is a
    duplicate. For example, the last time I did this my new version of Now
    Up to Date applications did not show in the Application folder of the
    Duplicate nor on my internal hard drive and the new menu icons for Now
    did not appear in the Apple menu bar. Also, I could not find some newer
    desktop items on my internal hard drive when booted from the Duplicate
    and opening my internal hard drive. Maybe there are reasons for these
    differences.

    Appreciate any input. Thank you.

    PS Again, I use Retrospect. I don't know if CCC or SuperDuper!
    duplicates are the same.

    Norm, Jan 31, 2006