Is a new Mac Mini supposed supposed to come with a Mac OS X disc/USBdrive?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ant, Jun 16, 2012.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello.

    I just got a new Mac Mini at work today. I noticed something from its
    small box. Is it supposed to come with a Mac OS X 10.7.x install
    disc/USB flash drive or something in case I ever need to reinstall, fix,
    etc.? I only got these items:

    1. Mac Mini
    2. DVI to HDMI adapter
    3. Power adapter
    4. White Apple stickers
    5. A manual (didn't see any disc and USB flash drive in it?)

    If I am missing it, then I hope I don't have to return since I already
    set it up, installed a bunch of software, copy my data, etc.

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "Cheerios: Hula-hoops for ants." --unknown
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Jun 16, 2012

  2. Ant

    Guest Guest

    nope. there's a recovery partition on the hard drive and it can
    reinstall lion over the net from apple's servers if necessary.

    Guest, Jun 16, 2012

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Oh! So how does one get to those? Is this happening on all new Apple
    computers or just Mac Minis? Is there way to make a installer disc/USB
    flash media like with IBM PCs? Physical medias would be faster than
    downloading especially for those with crappy Internet connections and/or
    with caps. :(
    --
    "I got worms! That's what we're going to call it. We're going to
    specialize in selling worm farms. You know like ant farms. What's the

    Ant, Jun 16, 2012
  4. Ant

    Larry Gusaas Guest

    From http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html
    Lion Recovery
    OS X Lion includes a built-in set of tools for repairing your Mac in the Recovery HD, a new
    feature that lets you repair disks or reinstall OS X Lion without a physical disc. Learn more
    about Lion Recovery http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

    --
    _________________________________

    Larry I. Gusaas
    Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
    Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

    Larry Gusaas, Jun 16, 2012
  5. Ant

    Guest Guest

    all new macs
    how often do you expect to be installing lion?

    anyway, the really cool thing is you can network boot the mini with a
    totally blank hard drive from apple.com and install lion. just be sure
    you have a fast connection.

    Guest, Jun 16, 2012
  6. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Thanks. That would suck if its HDD goes bad with the recovery! :(
    --
    "We ants are runnin' the show! We're the lords of the earth!" --ANTZ
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Jun 16, 2012
  7. Ant

    Guest Guest

    restore from a backup.
    the installer is about 4 gig.

    Guest, Jun 16, 2012
  8. that's why you have it on AppleCare, so you can take it into the
    AppleStore to get it's disk replaced.

    I don't know how this will work for 3rd-party, non-Apple Drives. I have
    5 of them, all either data or with 10.6.8. None can be reformatted to
    add a recovery partition. How does one 'recover' from _that_ situation?

    Michael Vilain, Jun 16, 2012
  9. Ant

    JF Mezei Guest

    You still need to copy that partition to another physical media. If your
    hard disk dies (hardware failure), then you lose that recovery partition
    as well as your real partition.

    JF Mezei, Jun 16, 2012
  10. Yeah and no caps! That's not always the case. Hence, I still prefer the
    physical media.[/QUOTE]

    You can buy a Lion installer USB Flash drive from Apple for $69.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 16, 2012
  11. Ant

    Larry Gusaas Guest

    If you had followed the second link in my previous post you would have seen:

    Internet Recovery.
    Help is everywhere.

    If your Mac problem is a little less common — your hard drivehas failed or you’ve
    installed a hard drive without OS X, for example — Internet Recovery takes over
    automatically. It downloads and starts OS X Recovery directly from Apple servers over a
    broadband Internet connection. And your Mac has access to the same OSX Recovery features
    online. Internet Recovery is built into every newly-released Mac starting with the Mac mini
    and MacBook Air.

    --
    _________________________________

    Larry Gusaas, Jun 16, 2012
  12. Ant

    Larry Gusaas Guest

    Obviously you did not read the link I gave above. If you had you would have seen this:

    Larry Gusaas, Jun 16, 2012
  13. Ant

    Guest Guest

    nonsense. any drive can be formatted with a recovery partition. i have
    lion on two external drives and both have recovery partitions.

    Guest, Jun 16, 2012
  14. Ant

    Guest Guest

    you can, but macs that are introduced after next month won't be able to
    boot lion anymore (unless the changes are very minor which is not
    likely). mountain lion will not be available on a flash stick because
    demand for the lion stick was very low.

    Guest, Jun 16, 2012
  15. Ant

    Larry Gusaas Guest

    And how do you know that? Did Steve tell you?

    --
    _________________________________

    Larry Gusaas, Jun 16, 2012
  16. Ant

    Guest Guest

    yes he did, in a seance.

    and for those who don't believe in seances,
    <http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/44422/mountain-lion-mac-app-store-only>

    Apple has confirmed to Pocket-lint though that its concerns weren't
    justified with customers not remotely interested in the USB drive
    offering:

    "It was an interesting test, but it turns out the App Store was just
    fine for getting the new OS."

    Guest, Jun 16, 2012
  17. Ant

    Larry Gusaas Guest

    And where is the actual statement from Apple?

    --
    _________________________________

    Larry Gusaas, Jun 16, 2012
  18. you can, but macs that are introduced after next month won't be able to
    boot lion anymore (unless the changes are very minor which is not
    likely). mountain lion will not be available on a flash stick because
    demand for the lion stick was very low.[/QUOTE]

    True, but he was asking specifically about Lion.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 16, 2012
  19. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    No.

    --
    If you [Carrot] were dice, you'd always roll sixes. And the dice don't
    roll themselves. If it wasn't against everything he wanted to be true

    Lewis, Jun 16, 2012
  20. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Jun 16, 2012