    cieling on this board?
    My thanks in advance...

    -Freddy B.

    Cracker Messiah, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Cracker Messiah

    BigBadger Guest

    BigBadger, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Cracker Messiah

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    The fastest CPU for the BH6 would be a 1.4GHz Tualatin FCPGA2 Celeron, used
    That's true, but the difference is not noticable compare to the P3 1 Ghz.

    I used both of them on my BH6 with no problems.

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Cracker Messiah

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    Would this chip be able to work on the motherboard? If not, what's the hz
    Yes, it will work as long as it is the 100fsb version.
    I used one on my BH6 for a while before getting a 1.4 Tualatin Celeron which is
    the fastest you can go.
    The 1.4 is not noticably faster then the 1Ghz P3...so what ever you can find
    cheaper is best.
    The P3 has to be the 100fsb version, unless you have a BH6 that has a PCI
    divider of 1/4 then you could use the 133 Slot 1 version.
    I am not sure which revisions had the 1/4 divider or if any of them actually
    had it. My 1.01 Rev didn't have it.
    Using a P3 1Ghz is not officially supported by Abit because the power mosfets
    were not designed for that CPU. I didn't have any trouble running it, but I
    also installed a tiny fan over the mosfets because they did get hot. If you
    were to use a 1.4 Tualatin with a Powerleap adapter, it has it's own power feed
    for the CPU so it bypasses the Mosfets on the BH6 all together.

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 7, 2004
  5. Cracker Messiah

    meme Guest

    I've got 6 BH6 v1.0 running P3 1ghz P3's with a 112mhz
    FSB (1170mhz OC) with no problems using the stock
    intel fans.

    The systems are extremely stable with winXPpro and
    SP2 installed.

    Good choice,,

    Bob
    Northern Cal

    meme, Aug 9, 2004
  6. Sounds nice. But a quick question concerning this part of your reply...
    What exactly do you mean by 'power mosfets?' I'd like to take this
    precautionary measure as well, but I'm afraid I can't get very far if I
    don't know what exactly to cool!
    Thanks again!

    -Freddy B.

    Cracker Messiah, Aug 15, 2004
  7. Thanks for the reply, Bob.

    Looks good, although I'll probably be running it with Windows 98. Any
    idea on stability issues regarding an older OS?

    -Freddy B.

    Cracker Messiah, Aug 15, 2004
  8. Cracker Messiah

    BigBadger Guest

    The MOSFETS are black square components (usually about 12mm square) with 3
    legs on one side the centre (earth) leg usually being cut back. They will be
    located close to the CPU slot.

    If going down the Copermine PIII you need to find one of the rare and
    expensive 100MHz FSB types (that's why IMO the Tualatin Celerons are a
    better bet). Only the later Rev (Rev 1.1 I think) BH6 boards have any
    support for 133FSB and even then there are possible issues with overclocked
    AGP bus speed.

    BigBadger, Aug 15, 2004
  9. Thanks for the prompt reply, Big.

    That is somewhat of a blow. T'would have been nice to go with the PIII.
    I do believe I've got the v1.0 revision, which means that the 133MHz bus is
    out of the question. That's interesting though, and it makes me curious as
    to why a CPU can't run at a lower FSB rating. That, and I'm also wondering
    if, by some grace of a miracle, that the SS BIOS revision could help it out.
    Now, to either find some leads on the 100MHz chip, the Celeron, or
    settle for a lower speed PIII.

    -Freddy B.

    Cracker Messiah, Aug 15, 2004
  10. Cracker Messiah

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    Thanks for the prompt reply, Big.
    A CPU can run at a slower fsb within reason. Some motherboards get really flaky
    when the cpu is run at too low of a fsb, but in your case the 133 model would
    work but it wouldn't run at 1Ghz.

    The 133 model uses an 8X multiplier 133fsb x 8 = 1064 Mhz or 1.064 Ghz. If you
    put that model on your motherboard it will work, but it will be 100fsb x 8
    which will only be 800Mhz. The 100fsb model has a higher 10X multiplier.

    You need to find the 100fsb version or get a 1.4 Tualatin with a powerleap
    adapter, or with a slocket.

    Like I posted I used the first two, either one will work and performance is
    just about the same. So it comes down to cost and being able to find it
    somewhere.

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 15, 2004
  11. Cracker Messiah

    Falkentyne Guest

    Oh yes it is!

    It's very noticable.

    Overclock that P3-S to 150 FSB, and you will see better than 50%
    performance increase compared to the 1 ghz P3. I have both chips, so
    I know what I'm talking about.

    P3 1ghz/133 on BF1942 Tobruk (MP) is almost unplayable on 32 player
    server. With P3-S @ 1500+ mhz, it's very playable; not 100 FPS but
    as long as you aren't on a 64 player server, except framerates in the
    40's to 70's, instead of in the 30's-40's.

    Falkentyne, Aug 26, 2004
  12. Cracker Messiah

    Falkentyne Guest

    That's because you weren't using the 1.4-S. (even though you should
    still notice a significant increase anyway).

    Use the 1.4-S chip with 512k cache (not sure if the celerons have
    prefetch or not), and jack it up to 140 FSB+, and you will see more
    than 50% performance boost over 1.0/133 coppermine.

    Falkentyne, Aug 26, 2004
  13. Cracker Messiah

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    Oh yes it is!
    It's not noticable on a BH6. I should know I used both of them, and benchmarked
    both of them. I was not talkiing about them overclocked like you are saying.

    We are also talking about a BH6 here, if you could get the fsb up to 150 you
    must be God!
    For one imost versions of the BH6 don't have a 1/4 PCI divider so you would be
    running the PCI bus at 50Mhz.

    I don't think you know what your talking about like you claim. Maybe in your
    head your running a BH6 at 150 fsb, but in the real world it it is highly
    unlikely.

    If your not running a BH6 maybe you should pay more attention to the topic
    before posting.

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 27, 2004
  14. Cracker Messiah

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    Did I ever mention overclocking in what I claimed or are you just not paying
    attention? Also his BH6 lacks a 1.4 divider for the PCI bus, so it would be
    difficult to get even close to 140 fsb with out the rest of his system running
    way out of spec.

    Oh one last thing....maybe next time someone is looking for help you could
    respond when they ask, not a couple of weeks later.

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 27, 2004
  15. Cracker Messiah

    Falkentyne Guest

    Thanks I'll try to keep that in mind.
    Maybe I'll give up my real life to read and respond to posts every
    day. just for YOU, instead of trying to help a little.

    Oh wait.....never mind.....
    *PLONK*.

    Figures someone as rude as you has an AOL address
    welcome to my killfile.

    Falkentyne, Aug 27, 2004
  16. Cracker Messiah

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    Figures someone as rude as you has an AOL address
    I am not normally rude so I apoligize, but you information was not very
    helpful. Not because it wasn't accurate, but because it didn't really relate to
    the topic which is about a BH6.
    Overclocking was never mentioned in what I posted about comparing the speed
    between a P31Ghz 100 fsb model and a 1.4 100 fsb Tualatin. There is really no
    real world speed difference between those two cpu's. Overclocking was never
    mentioned. The BH6 is also fsb limited because most revisions do not have a 1/4
    PCI divider. So high overclocking is not even possible. You might get at the
    most a 124 fsb, but not 133 or higher.

    You also shouldn't generalize that all AOL members are rude because they are
    not.

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 27, 2004
  17. Cracker Messiah

    Spajky Guest

    they have ...

    Spajky, Aug 28, 2004
  18. Cracker Messiah

    Spajky Guest

    not necessary! :))

    you need BH6 rev1.2 / 1/4 Pci divider!/
    MatroxG400 or some nVidia video card with high AGP freq.fix in the
    registry (its on my site);
    300 W Psu; additional Mosfets cooling & a fan on the NB,
    mushin PC150 cas2 ram (expensive!)
    & not problematic HD ...; some good CPU & cooling it too ...
    .... & here ya go ... :))))

    /I run similar setup once on my ex-friends BE6-II & my Tuallie @ 160
    Fsb !!!! - TL stable .. (originally Tuallie 1.0A) ... :)))

    PS. I did some "pre-burnin´-in" of a Cpu in a pot on a stove :)))
    (check my site under comp/burn-in) ...

    Spajky, Aug 28, 2004
  19. Cracker Messiah

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    you need BH6 rev1.2 / 1/4 Pci divider!

    I have mentioned it's possible, but only if you have the 1/4 divider. I don't
    think there were that many BH6 1.2 rev's sold.

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 28, 2004
  20. Cracker Messiah

    TF Guest

    Spajky,

    You used to be one of the guys who actually knew what could be done with a
    BH6 in its 2 flavors and didn't spout nonsense. You probably still are.

    I haven't been keeping up with BH6 news for 1-2 years.

    What cpu + adapters combos are the best bang for the buck these days for the
    1st BH6 version and are still readily available?

    I've had a Celly 1.1 + Asus Cu adapter for a long time now. 4-5 year?

    My guess is that a Tully 1.3 or 1.4 with Slot T is the ticket if 1.3s and
    1.4s are still available.

    My other guess is that going from a 1.1 Cu to a 1.3/1.4 Tully is not worth
    the time, trouble, and $$ except for guys who have to squeeze the last bit
    out of a system regardless of cost effectiveness.

    are

    TF, Aug 28, 2004