    appreciated. TIA

    -----Expertise is not self-proclaimed. It is an honor awarded by your peers-----
    MB

    Araknid, May 13, 2005

  2. Araknid

    Dan Brow Guest

    Just got an acer 1694 Canadian edition and it's worth every penny. A
    friend has owned a tm 240 for almost two years and it works great.

    Dan.

    Dan Brow, May 14, 2005

  3. Araknid

    daman Guest

    I have 2 acer notebooks...I won't be buying any more. Constant
    problems that require return repairs...and turn around time is
    terrible. They don the least they can to fix it and most likely
    you will have to send it back a second time for them to get it right.
    Tech support sux.
    But if you do buy an Acer, make SURE you buy the 2 year extended
    warranty(around $200.00) because you WILL need it.

    daman, May 14, 2005
  4. Araknid

    Good Man Guest

    personally, i've never had any problems with my Acers. I bought a
    TravelMate 521TE in 2000, it's now in the hands of my wife, and I bought an
    Aspire 2000 series last year. Both are chock full of value, run well, and
    have NEVER had a service problem of any sort.

    Go for it!

    Good Man, May 15, 2005
  5. Araknid

    Rich Guest

    I'll never be buying another after the pins on the motherboard AC/DC
    connector came loose. Wasn't caused by me pulling on the cable or
    anything - just bad soldering on the orginal build.

    Just glad a friend could use a sodler iron to fix it.

    Thanks.

    Rich

    Rich, May 15, 2005
  6. Araknid

    Dan Brow Guest

    How old was the laptop when this happened?

    Dan Brow, May 15, 2005
  7. Araknid

    Rich Guest

    13 months - 1 month over the warranty. AMD 2500, 256 Meg, DVD-RW, 40
    Gb HD. Acer Aspire 1315

    Rich

    Rich, May 16, 2005
  8. Araknid

    Eddi Guest

    I have real doubts about Acer Laptops. Like another reply my Ace
    power socket fell off after less than 10 months from new. (The lapto
    was not damaged and was kept protected in laptop holder, not a mark o
    the whole machine.) Acer UK are quoting nearly £400 to repair. I thin
    I'll spend the money on another laptop, Acer are not very well made!

    Eddi, Oct 15, 2005
  9. Araknid

    jappy Guest

    After talking to two different Acer techs I had to send it in for
    repairs. They never fixed it correctly the first time! Just tried to
    shrug the problem off then had to send it again. Took nearly a month
    to get the problem resolved. I'll never buy another ACER. This is
    not the only problems I've had with Acer. Tech support is very, very
    poor. If you do buy an acer, I'd suggest you spend another $179 and
    get an extended warranty. You'll be needing it.

    jappy, Oct 16, 2005
  10. Araknid

    paul Guest

    But then, there is the other story. I have 3 Acer notebooks, all still
    functioning (though the older ones are a bit slow now). I only ever had to
    return one of them for repairs and Acer's repair shop in the UK turned the
    unit round in about 10 days. I have even been able to get spares
    (specifically a replacement keyboard) shipped to me for a pretty reasonable
    cost.

    Conversely, I bought a Samsung Q25 this Spring and its been back 3 times.
    Each time it has taken them 8 days to turn it round and it has come back
    with the same or more problems it went in with. It came back today and
    refused to boot!

    From my experience ACER = average product, average after sales, good price;
    while SAMSUNG = poor product, crap after sales, high price.

    I know what I am buying next.

    Paul

    paul, Oct 19, 2005
  11. just another 2ct:

    I bought my Acer 291LMi about 2 years ago without any problems since
    then (with heavy daily use).

    For comparison: I once owned a Sony C1 and on my job I have to use a
    Fujitsu Siemens.

    Both were a lot more expensive, have worse displays (the Fujitsu is
    brand new!) and are much louder than the Acer. The Fujitsu is also very
    heavy even though not more powerful or long lasting (much less than the
    Acers 5h).

    Colleagues used ASUS notebooks and brand new Sonys with terrible mirror
    like display, bad keyboards and, again, much louder.

    Another two friends had Samsung Notebooks (the stylish ones) but both
    had trouble with the keyboard which left prints on the screen! Some
    Apple Notebooks have the same problem and are less powerful.

    If it comes to service:

    - When I had to do with Sony, I had to engage a lawyer to get money back
    for never deliverd goods. A big german computer magazine found out, that
    Sony had the worst possible support (at least for Germany).

    - I once contacted Acer because of power troubles (turned out to be a
    problem of the house installation). I got qualified answers right away.

    So, in my opinion Acer may not be the most stylish product around but it
    is very price worthy and well designed in terms of technical aspects. I
    would always recommend to buy Acer again.

    Stefan Brasulek, Oct 20, 2005
  12. In the past month clients have brought me laptops from Toshiba,
    Gericom, Samsung and IBM, all with hardware faults. All laptops fail.
    I chose an Acer because the price, plus the 3-year warranty extension
    added up right.

    Laurence Payne, Nov 2, 2005
  13. Araknid

    Eddi Guest

    I have done some more research and would defiitely advise you NOT t
    buy ACER. The PC magazine user surveys give an A rating to Fujitsu
    Apple and IBM and B to Dell. Acer have moved up from e to d. In m
    own case they have not repaired my laptop because they claime
    Accidental Damage. I brought in an independent engineer fro
    MasterCare who examined it and agreed that the fault was not accidenta
    damage. Indeed, they have repaired other ACERs with this problem. M
    insurance company examined the ACER and decided to supply me with a ne
    Fujitsu on the grounds that this would be a more cost effective solutio
    than repairing an ACER of dubious quality.

    Eddi, Nov 13, 2005
  14. I purchased a Acer two Sundays ago. The next day, I returned to the
    store becasue the battery failed to charge. It was replaced. Then the
    next day, I returned again becasue the Laptop just would not start. I
    exchanged it to another Acer, which is a mistake. It only lasted 3
    days and again would not start. Nothing happens when I pressed the
    power button, not even attemp to boot.

    I finally exchange it to a IBM, and ended up paying a lot more.

    I was lucky it failed so fast.

    Also, I learnt a mistake not to buy expensive electronics from small
    shop without a good refund policy.

    syc0208-group, Nov 17, 2005
  15. Araknid

    Good Man Guest

    wrote in @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    that should be the lesson you learn.

    if the IBM you bought failed (and trust me, IBMs fail - that precious IBM
    notebook you bought was assembled in China using cheap parts, same as the
    Acer) you'd be just as f*cked.

    Good Man, Nov 20, 2005
  16. You are correct about they both assembled in China, but one can feel
    the difference in quality. It has been over 2 weeks now, and I have
    no problem with the IBM.

    Steve.Chan.home, Nov 20, 2005