    patty Guest

    I'm on my 2nd Dell Optiplex in 6 months, returned the first, a lot of
    application (small business edition 2003 problems). Now with computer
    #2, an Optiplex 210, glitches away. With the mouse, in outlook, with
    power settings, memory errors at shutdown.

    THey will only give me yet another optiplex, the GX 520, which hasn't
    even been reviewed.
    OY!

    Anyone have experience with this computer and/or the Optiplexes?

    Thanks.

    patty, Aug 8, 2006

  2. patty

    Jay B Guest

    the 210 i wouldnt touch, the 520 is fine- almost the same as the 620
    less the video option and support for 2 sata instead of 4.
    i sell a lot of 620's, they are my number 1 system after the 5150.
    a fine machine.
    i remember reading some of your problems in the past, but nothing
    concrete enough to sink our teeth in and try and help you solve.
    every problem has a solution, it could be a genuine hardware problem, or
    combination software/operating system, implementation error, and user
    error. there is a lot of spyware and malware that would cause strange
    things you are describing. you should look at that.
    if you want, an expert such as myself could examine your system remotely
    and see what's going on. dell also now offers a similar service, but i
    dont trust them.
    so give us more specifics on the current system if you want some help.
    Jay

    Jay B, Aug 8, 2006

  3. patty

    Dan Guest

    Is the 520 the same as the 620? The cute little micro-desktop, half
    the size of a small form-factor (eg 4600c)? Oh wait, I might be
    thinking of the SX270

    The Insprion 5150 is great...as long as the heat sink fins are kept
    un-clogged.

    Dan

    Dan, Aug 9, 2006
  4. patty

    Jay B Guest

    the difference was explained in my last post.
    both 520 and 620 come in 4 sizes from the microtower down to the ultra
    small form factor. the size and keat problems is what hurt the 4600c.

    i dont like any dell computer in any size but the largest tower.
    too many heat related problems. as cute as they are.

    Jay B, Aug 9, 2006
  5. patty

    patty Guest

    Dell doesn't look at the computer remotely with gold tech support. It's
    just by phone.

    I had a CCAP exe error and researched it, it appeared to perhaps be a
    Norton error, needing to update Norton files, which I did.

    I have various memory could not be read errors at shutdown, different
    codes, none of which can be researched. It's intermittent, e.g. not
    every day, and I've noticed the codes difffer.

    The memory issues started several weeks ago, about 1.5 months after I
    had this 210.

    I also haven't been able to send emails, towards the latter part of the
    day, and once earlier. This has happened 3 times. I had already
    lowered my NOrton INternet SEcurity Suite settings, and turned off
    Norton too, and the emails wouldn't send. I then shut down the
    computer, cleared out my outbox prior to this, and then I could send
    emails. I got two opinioins from Norton - boot or hard drive from the
    online folks who don't seem good; and by phone I unchecked my firewall
    settings (under configure) and then rechecked them, turned off the
    computer and restarted. I have only had one day to test it and
    yesterday sending was fine.

    I also have had several times where I am trying to cut and paste into
    word from another document and no mouse action on the tool bar. And
    once I was trying to bold text, nothing. But it came back.

    Dell is willing to send me yet a third computer, the GX 520. I wanted
    to switch to the Dimnesion line, but that's not possible. I had made a
    stink at the corporate level, thus the attention I'm getting. However,
    I couldn't stand to have problems with a third.

    I think Norton causes problems, that's one issue. I have pretty good
    protection I think from Verizon DSL.

    A troubleshooting shop in manhattan has recommended Trend Micro™
    PC-cillin™ Internet Security 2006 instead of Norton.

    Any experience with that?

    Why do you dislike the Optiplex 210?

    The other thing that happened initially is that when the computer went
    into sleep mode the mouse didn't come back. I had to turn off the power
    settings.

    Thanks. Patty (What do you do?)

    patty, Aug 9, 2006
  7. patty

    Jay B Guest

    I'm a computer consultant/reseller/developer based in long island new
    york. i sell and support a lot of dell computers and laptops to my
    customers locally.
    they have a new thing where they do connect by computer called dell
    connect. have not heard any feedback on it yet good or bad. and not
    sure if there is a cost or not of if included with any specific support
    plan.

    i stay away from the 210 because for the amount they are charging, its
    not worth it, its more like the dimension 3100 or worse. better to go
    to the optiplex 520 or 620 box.
    i rather see you in a 620 box if you had to get another, since the main
    difference is never being able to upgrade to a video card should you
    decide that in the future. the onboard video is excellent for most
    business users and home users, but not for high end gaming.

    everything you described sounds like software issues, nothing to do with
    the computer. you will continue to have those issues if you dont take
    control of your software. i (along with others in this NG) hate the
    newest norton bloatware. i use only the norton corporate edition from a
    few years ago, very stable and runs lean and mean and does the job.

    if you are local to me, i can help you here,
    otherwise i can connect remotely if you want me to take a look.

    Jay

    Jay B, Aug 9, 2006