Is Apple the new Evil Empire?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Michelle Steiner, Feb 12, 2007.

  1. Rolling Stone seems to think it may be.
    <http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/02/08/is-apple-the-
    new-evil-empire/>

    The signs are all there: The technological superiority. The ruthless
    march to galactic domination. The musical devices that from a fashion
    standpoint would be the perfect accessory for any Stormtrooper uniform.
    Once but the student (see their classic 1984 ad, their PC vs. Mac ads
    and oh, everything else that¹s ever come out of their mouth), it seems
    that little ol¹ Apple finally could be turning into the Master.

    It sounds ridiculous, we know. Apple? Really? Don¹t only a couple of
    loser bloggers and the hopelessly out-of-touch publishing industry
    (ahem) use those things? Well, consider the recent evidence that goes
    well beyond the limited world of desktop computers:

    € The announcement of the impending iPhone at last month¹s MacWorld
    conference set off shockwaves that rippled beyond the assembled geek
    alliance. It won¹t even be out until this summer, and it¹s already the
    most buzzed-about tech innovation since, well, the iPod, stealing the
    thunder of every gadget unveiled at Las Vegas¹ Consumer Electronics
    Show. Verizon recently revealed it turned down the chance to be the
    exclusive carrier of the iPhone because Apple wanted to maintain
    tight-fisted control of the service. So now Cingular (which was just
    bought out by original Evil Empire AT&T) gets to be the exclusive
    provider, forcing everybody to figure out how to dump their current
    wireless plan and switch over.

    € To this date, Apple has sold 90 million iPods and more than 2
    billion individual songs through the iTunes store ‹ that¹s almost one
    song for every three people on the planet (many of them not huge fans of
    ³Fergalicious²).

    € Steve Jobs announced Tuesday that he has asked the record labels
    to scrap their proprietary DRM software that prevents music from being
    shared, as he feels it¹s ineffective and merely hampers consumers from
    being able to listen to music how they please. Sounds good, right? Well,
    it¹s propaganda. Lost in his release is that that the largest source of
    proprietary DRM software is Apple, which prevents songs purchased from
    iTunes to be played on any competing player (and prevents the iPod from
    playing songs purchased from competing online music stores).

    € When problems cropped up between iPods and the new Microsoft Vista
    operating system ‹ songs purchased through iTunes wouldn¹t play, and
    some users found their iPods corrupted after connecting to their PC ‹
    Microsoft engineers hurriedly worked to try to solve the problem and
    make their system compatible. Apple, on the other hand, officially
    warned PC users to avoid installing Microsoft Vista ‹ at least until
    Apple gets around to updating the iTunes software in the next couple
    weeks or so.

    € Apple has reached a deal with Apple Corps Ltd. which will allow
    the entire Beatles¹ catalogue to be purchased from iTunes (alluded to
    when Jobs played tracks from Sgt. Pepper at the iPhone announcement).
    Will it put the Fab Four back in the Top 40? Some experts think it¹s a
    certainty. With the size of the Baby Boomer generation combined with the
    power of iTunes, it¹s not hard to imagine a world where it¹s all golden
    oldies, all the time.

    € Don¹t get us wrong ‹ we definitely don¹t feel sorry for the Bill
    Gateses of the world. But the fact that Apple now seems to be calling
    all the shots is more than a little bit unnerving. First they dominate
    publishing, Web design, and music, then TV and movies, mobile
    phonesŠwhen Steve Jobs flips the switch, the all-seeing ³i² will be
    everywhere. When you wake up tomorrow to find a folder with a question
    mark where the sun used to be, don¹t come crying to us.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 12, 2007

  2. Michelle Steiner

    Wes Groleau Guest

    And they still have the Death Star as their logo.

    Wes Groleau, Feb 13, 2007

  3. Michelle Steiner

    Jon Guest

    Question is, will we wake up on that day? I don't know. We won't all be
    booted up, will we? So who is going to hit the Cosmic Alt button and
    select the right startup volume, then?

    (Tip to Whoever: Try another one this time...?)

    Jon, Feb 13, 2007
  4. Michelle Steiner

    NRen2k5 Guest

    Okay, this is just getting silly now.

    NRen2k5, Feb 13, 2007
  5. Cosmic Alt button?!? It's option, not alt. Alt's a PC thing.

    Roger Johnstone, Feb 13, 2007
  6. Michelle Steiner

    Zak. Guest

    AltLinux? :)

    Zak., Feb 13, 2007
  7. Michelle Steiner

    Jon Guest

    Mea culpa. I will obviously not wake up. ;-)

    Jon, Feb 13, 2007
  8. [...]

    Then again, most companies would seem pathological if you were to judge
    them on their behaviour in human terms.

    So, sure. Why not? Apple can be evil. Maybe it's their turn. It's
    not like anyone can do anything about it.

    Clever Monkey, Feb 13, 2007
  9. That's a photoshop that has to happen. Bunches of Star Trek
    Stormtroopers with iPods... and then a closeup, showing they're
    filled with Barry Manilow.
    They've got to get that Evil Playbook straight: Cingular was bought out by the
    New-n-Improved Evil Empire AT&T, which is one of the spawn of the
    original Evil Empire AT&T (as is Verizon, for that matter), and (as
    evil spawn are wont to do) swallowed its weakened progenitor to
    acquire the name.
    This is "lost"? That is what the article was about. Guess they didn't
    read it.
    Just pop in the install CD and the sun returns.

    Matthew T. Russotto, Feb 13, 2007
  10. And to this day I've never fathomed why. Every Mac user has to suffer
    because a few people run Windows on their Mac and might forget which is
    the alt key? At least Apple has dumped the numeric lock key from their
    current keyboards.

    Roger Johnstone, Feb 14, 2007
  11. Having an Alt key causes you suffering?

    Confess, infidel, or you will be subjected to the dreaded Alt key
    torture!!!
    Muhahaha!!!

    --- Brian

    brian.b.mcguinness, Feb 14, 2007
  12. Michelle Steiner

    Bob Vogel Guest

    Bob Vogel, Feb 14, 2007
  13. Michelle Steiner

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Having an extra three letters in a small font on a key is suffering?
    A key which, as far as I can tell, does absolutely nothing.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    A pessimist says the glass is half empty.

    An optimist says the glass is half full.

    An engineer says somebody made the glass
    twice as big as it needed to be.

    Wes Groleau, Feb 15, 2007
  14. Michelle Steiner

    Jon Guest

    Except on portables, for number junkies, where it makes part of the
    regualar keyboard into a number pad - but also risks confusing people
    who inadvertently activate it.

    Jon, Feb 15, 2007
  15. Guilty as charged! :) I hate when that happens!

    Reginald Dwight, Feb 15, 2007
  16. I suppose it could be worse. Most PC keyboards have a Windows key,
    complete with the Windows logo.
    The numeric lock key dates back to the early IBM PC keyboard layout
    which had shared keys for editing and numeric entry. Turning on the
    numlock would allow the block of editing keys (home, end, page up, page
    down, insert, delete, cursor movement) to be used as a numeric keypad.
    The numlock is generally redundant now since most keyboards for at least
    the last 20 years have had separate editing keys and numeric keypad, but
    keyboard manufacturer's seem afraid to remove it, even though it causes
    constant problems when accidentally turned off.

    Roger Johnstone, Feb 15, 2007
  17. Michelle Steiner

    Jon Guest

    Yeah - but at least that has a conceivable use in some cases. What about
    the Sys Rq and Prt Scr on PC keyboards? Ever use those lately? (What
    ever was the Sys Rq key for anyway?) And - really - Shift Lock?

    I've disabled my Shift Lock as I often hit it by accident typing an 'a'
    with my left pinkie, and after italics and bold came to computer wcreens
    25 years ago, I don't se any good use for TYPING IN ALL CAPS. ;-)

    Jon, Feb 15, 2007
  18. I use Caps Warn for that - I have it set to *Ping* and show red when I have
    the Caps Lock on. I do use the Caps Lock for typing in postcodes and so on.
    (Aside - I found myself hitting the Caps Lock by mistake all the time when
    moving over to a Mac Keyboard - I think the keys must be very subtly closer
    together - so I do know what you mean.)

    Sally Thompson, Feb 15, 2007
  19. Michelle Steiner

    Paul Sture Guest

    This can be extremely useful, and it's the one big reason I switched to
    using iTerm instead of Terminal. With Numlock switched on, iTerm
    generates the correct VT100 compatible escape sequences for the numeric
    keypad. This is not the easiest thing to get the hang of, but when you
    are logged into a system many miles/kilometres away, you appreciate it.
    Not as badly as on PC laptops I have used. On my G3 iBook, when Numlock
    is on the rest of the keyboard is disabled, and the Numlock warning
    light is hard to ignore.

    Paul Sture, Feb 15, 2007
  20. Michelle Steiner

    Wes Groleau Guest

    I use PrtScrn and Alt-PrtScrn daily. They put the images on the
    clipboard for me to paste into documentation I write for my clients
    and colleagues.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    If you put garbage in a computer nothing comes out but garbage.
    But this garbage, having passed through a very expensive machine,
    is somehow ennobled and none dare criticize it.

    Wes Groleau, Feb 16, 2007