Is carrying laptop to places hazardous to laptp's health?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by news.ev1.net, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. news.ev1.net

    news.ev1.net Guest

    Hi,

    I am buying a new laptop, an IBM R51. I don't travel a lot, but two three
    times a year and plan to take it with me. Also plan to take it with me to
    the office often or to coffee shops or to friends house. I have some
    questions carrying the laptop.

    I saw a friend of mine carrying his laptop on a regular backpack. He had
    books and his laptop in his backpack. He laid down his backpack with the
    laptop on the bottom and these heavy books on the top. I was kind of
    shocked, thinking it will break the screen with all the books on top of the
    laptop. He said it never happened. I think he has some kind of cheap dell
    laptop, I would say. Is this an issue? It goes for even regular laptop
    shoulder bags, if you lay it on its side, and there are books around it,
    would not the book crush the laptop. It is made out of plastic, I am
    wondering how tuff this plastic is when it comes to putting pressure on it.

    Number two question - if I am on travel, and it is 100 degrees outside, and
    I leave the laptop in the trunk of my car, will it melt? There are times I
    may check out of an hotel in the morning and keep things in my car while I
    drive around on my vacation. All my luggage will be in back of the car as I
    go hiking or something for the day. Is this an issue?

    I really don't want to start a war about getting a rugged laptop like T41 or
    some others. This goes for just about any laptop that people travel with,
    and I am sure not everyone has ruggedized version of all the laptops.

    Thanks for your help and opinion!

    -Monaz

    news.ev1.net, Jul 16, 2004

  2. Your friend is taking a chance with the way he's handling his laptop.
    What you describe can crack the screen. He's been lucky so far. I once
    had a laptop in a laptop case sitting on the floor in a carpeted hotel
    room. The case simply fell over on it's side, and the screen was
    damaged (not cracked, but there was a permanent vertical line on the
    screen, failure of a bond between the glass LCD panel and the ribbon
    cable connecting it to the driver PCB).

    Extreme temperatures can damage a laptop, but 100 degrees is not likely
    to be a problem. Temps inside a closed car in the summer, however, can
    reach 180, which is a problem. The trunk is a better place than the
    passenger compartment when the car is parked. It's also more secure
    with respect to theft.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 16, 2004

  3. news.ev1.net

    EM Guest

    Could just be that he's been lucky... so far.

    A laptop is a laptop is a laptop... So unless you invest in a Panasonic
    Toughbook, I suggest you treat it as such.

    Check any laptop User's Manual--you're bound to see an entire chapter on
    how to treat (and how NOT to treat) a laptop.

    Just because your friends treat theirs a certain way (w/o any *apparent*
    damage) doesn't make it "right".

    EM, Jul 16, 2004
  4. news.ev1.net

    E Brown Guest

    You have to judge the build quality. I've had laptops with cheap
    plastic cases that had to be treated gingerly (and usually still
    broke). My Sony Picturebook, however, gets thrown into any old bag and
    I don't worry about it. It's small size and strong case make is rigid
    enough to endure most anything.
    My ThinkPads ride in a deteriorating Targus backpack with loads of
    other junk, but they get their own pouch to themselves. I think your
    friend's method is asking for trouble, but I've done similar when I
    had a cushioned pouch that fit the laptop.
    Emanuel

    E Brown, Jul 17, 2004
  5. news.ev1.net

    Joe Davis Guest

    My idea is that the best security is keeping it with you as much as
    possible. Get as light a model as possible, then work on a packing
    strategy. I try to carry my laptop in a small lightweight bag with very
    little else. I use a Centrino which gets about 3 hrs + run time, but with
    the power saving options set to tight tolerances, will get me through most
    days. I keep my other gear (mouse, cables, power supply, books, CD's,
    daytimer, etc) in a separate bag. That bag can stay in the trunk of my car,
    or in a client's office or in a hotel room, while the computer in the
    "skinny" bag stays with me where ever I go, unless I lock it up somewhere.
    The 2 bag strategy will also keep you from piling books, etc. on top of it.

    Joe Davis, Jul 17, 2004