Is clamshell mode cpu more economical?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by dorayme, Sep 22, 2011.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    That depends on what issue is being discussed. Your first reply
    showed, as do so many replies from the remnants of TBG, to
    misunderstand the real issue.

    It is really about the best management in regard to increasing
    the life expectancy of a MB when it is used extensively as the
    computer on a desk and is connected to an external screen and
    tethered usb keyboard. I know, it takes some imagination to see
    this and my enemies mostly lack this one thing or have it in too
    great an abundance. I know, its terrible, I am never satisfied
    with my enemies!

    For those of you who do have a MB and don't need to use the MB
    screen on a desk, I suggest

    1. Start MB normally, you need to have the lid open to do this.
    Once started, just turn its screen black by keyboard bright
    control for the moment. Do a session of work or whatever.

    2. When the computer goes to sleep, if you are around when it
    happens, close the lid.

    3. When you return to working at it, if you have not already
    closed the lid, do so now. Next wake the machine by any means
    other than opening lid, one way is to press the space bar on an
    external tethered USB keyboard.

    4. Open the lid. Especially if it is not cold weather, it helps
    heat to escape.

    dorayme, Sep 24, 2011

  2. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    Remember Alan, this for you is *less* than mildly interesting so
    how come, Mr Showy Pride Mature, you are still here? Got nothing
    better to do?

    dorayme, Sep 24, 2011

  3. dorayme

    Nelson Guest

    According to the Amazon listing "Displays volts, amps, and wattage
    within 0.2 percent accuracy".

    I have used mine on a couple of things and have been quite pleased with
    it. Most recently I used it to measure how much power my UPS was
    consuming with everything plugged into it to make sure I wasn't
    exceeding the UPS rating. A lot easier than trying to locate the specs
    for all the drives, computers, printers, routers, etc and then add up
    the power.

    It also records cumulative power usage so you don't have to simply take
    a snapshot. In the context of this discussion, you could run
    clamshell/open for an hour each and see what the difference was.

    Nelson, Sep 25, 2011
  4. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    No doubt you mean clamshell/not clamshell by this distinction,
    but there is a subtlety, you can have clamshell with the lid open
    as far as I can tell.

    dorayme, Sep 25, 2011
  5. dorayme

    Alan Browne Guest

    My interest in the Kill-a-Watt has perked up for other reasons. You
    never know where a thread will take others.

    Alan Browne, Sep 26, 2011
  6. dorayme

    Alan Browne Guest

    Accuracy is not that important and 0.2 is much better than needed (1%
    would have been ample). Any idea of the resolution? That's what makes
    comparisons interesting.
    Which is misleading anyway. When a computer is rated for, eg, 400W it
    is probably pulling less than half that most of the time and not near
    that when at peak use for its configuration. Further, that's usually
    the power supply rating which the computer "designer: typically installs
    with wide margin above need.

    Other devices, like external drives, have PS ratings that are generous
    on the order of 40% or so v. actual draw.

    So adding them all up would be very misleading.
    Interesting. I like this device more and more. Probably order one soon.

    Alan Browne, Sep 26, 2011
  7. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    Interesting. I like this device more and more. Probably order one soon.[/QUOTE]

    Yes, fine, toys and tools are nice for all sorts of reasons. But
    sometimes one can be happy to reason that one device *must* be
    using less power in one state than in another state. And much
    cheaper to reason than to conduct experiments with extra
    equipment.

    dorayme, Sep 26, 2011
  8. dorayme

    Alan Browne Guest

    Except when the reasoning is wrong.

    Every "reason" (theory) should be backed up with observations or
    measurement at some point.

    Alan Browne, Sep 26, 2011
  9. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    Do you drink some funny pessimism water? Why not say things like
    experiments are no good when equipment is broke, things are
    misread, interpretations wrong?
    You misunderstand. The contrast is between simple experiment and
    tricky expensive experiment. I gave you an example of the former,
    how do you think I discovered the clamshell:dorayme mode of
    running a MB on the desk?

    dorayme, Sep 26, 2011