Is classic viable in Tiger? Please help!

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Charlie, Nov 24, 2005.

  1. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    I am looking at Quark 4 files in Tiger (10.4.3), unfortunately I have to
    work with those, and they all look like blank icons. They will open but
    not the fonts.

    Quark 4 seems to recognize only suitcase among font applications but
    suitcase appears to be hopelessly confused in Tiger and tells me that
    the fonts conflict with system fonts (when they aren't even remotely
    close types) and I need to manage the system fonts, or tells me that
    they are corrupt when I know they are not.

    Font book is a disaster -- The preferences suddenly consist of only a
    choice for default location of font installation -- there is no option
    to NOT trash fonts that you decide to remove from the program (as there
    was in Panther) so I can't imagine importing fonts through that
    interface.

    I have tried FontAgentPro -- it has a checkbox to activate fonts in
    classic, but it keeps unchecking itself as soon as you close out of the
    preference pane -- even if I lock the settings.

    Linotype Font Explorer seems to be sensible and like suitcase doesn't
    make you create copies of fonts you use (let's you use existing folders)
    BUT it doesn't seem to support classic at all.

    I have to turn in work in Quark 4 at the end of this weekend and I am at
    a loss... Any insight/help will be greatly appreciated.

    Charlie, Nov 24, 2005

  2. Charlie

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    I'm somewhat puzzled by the above, and perhaps a bit of elaboration would
    help. I'm a staunch user of Font Book, albeit that I'm not a user of Quark
    Express. Font Book allows one to create an arbitrary number of font
    collections, and one can activate and deactivate such collections at will.
    Only those fonts in the currently active collections will appear in the font
    menu of applications, although the application should be launched after the
    activation or deactivation has taken place. I'll admit to not having used
    Font Book to "install" and "de-install" fonts, choosing instead to just drag
    and drop fonts into the appropriate folders.

    TaliesinSoft, Nov 24, 2005

  3. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    Yes, thanks -- I realized after I posted that that's one way of doing
    it. But I'm looking for some long-term solution because I get a lot of
    work still in Quark 4.

    I don't find font book useful for working with a lot of fonts (whether
    classic or OSX). In general I find font programs that move or copy your
    fonts into their own databases just too much of a headache.

    What I like about suitcase is that it only creates a reference to the
    font file, it's like a big alias, and in panther it worked well with
    both OSX and Classic.

    I don't understand what it is about Tiger that messed things up.

    Charlie, Nov 25, 2005
  4. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    Thanks for the insight... I've actually managed to get Panther to a
    state where I could do work in Quark 4 without too much aggravation, so
    I haven't pondered the option you suggest. (I have also given away the
    one Mac we had here that could have been used for that... )

    Charlie, Nov 26, 2005
  5. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    sorry it's taken me this long to get back here, but I am NOT using
    suitcase 10 -- it's version 11 absolutely -- it's never given me these
    various problems/warning on 10.3, but on Tiger it does...

    Charlie, Dec 2, 2005
  6. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    I read about this before going onto Tiger and it said that version
    10.0.4 was only necessary for server software.

    Charlie, Dec 2, 2005
  7. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    A typo, sorry, I meant 11.0.4.

    I think part of the problem was a conflict with font book or something
    else on the new installation. It seems to work better now, still telling
    me about some fonts that they are corrupt so it will not open them --
    fonts that work fine on numerous other Macs running panther
    (client's)... I have to use font book or drag them into the library/font
    folder to bypass suitcase.

    Charlie, Dec 3, 2005